S~! Oleg

I realize that testing is still underway and that you desire secrecy till you are ready. However perhaps you can allieviate some of the fear around the new patch in regards to this simple question. I think most people are happy about the new FM but afraid of the cpu hit. I think it is reasonable to assume that offline players will be hit the worst as obviously the cpu has far more calculations to do.

Does this also apply to ONLINERS -- as far as I am aware during online the only calculations made are clientside - the server handles the calculations for the other planes. Is this correct and would the new patch effect online performance negatively or will it just remain approximately the same?

Thank you for your time.

S~! Oleg

I realize that testing is still underway and that you desire secrecy till you are ready. However perhaps you can allieviate some of the fear around the new patch in regards to this simple question. I think most people are happy about the new FM but afraid of the cpu hit. I think it is reasonable to assume that offline players will be hit the worst as obviously the cpu has far more calculations to do.

Does this also apply to ONLINERS -- as far as I am aware during online the only calculations made are clientside - the server handles the calculations for the other planes. Is this correct and would the new patch effect online performance negatively or will it just remain approximately the same?

Thank you for your time.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I can't see it having a huge impact on either style of gameplay. If you're running a tight ship (i.e. a well maintained system) then you probably aren't going to notice the difference. I'm betting the only people to come on with troubles are going to have bad or improperly installed drivers or other system problems that will rear their ugly head when their system is pushed a little bit further.

We'll see

I can't see it having a huge impact on either style of gameplay. If you're running a tight ship (i.e. a well maintained system) then you probably aren't going to notice the difference. I'm betting the only people to come on with troubles are going to have bad or improperly installed drivers or other system problems that will rear their ugly head when their system is pushed a little bit further.

We'll see

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    There has to be some impact if the server is running the more realistic FM.
    Given the distributed nature of online, it would be less than offline if the packets
    encode positional data instead of control data which is .ntrk vs .trk type data.
    Online you can only record .ntrk track files so a good guess would be that online it
    will be less difference than offline. Just... less is relative to what we don't know.

Wait and see? He has already told there will be a switch.

Jumping from one FM to the other; people who do will have less of an edge, make more
    mistakes than they would if they stick to one FM only. Same as going from plane to
    plane.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Given the distributed nature of online, it would be less than offline if the packets
    encode positional data instead of control data which is .ntrk vs .trk type data.
    Online you can only record .ntrk track files so a good guess would be that online it
    will be less difference than offline. Just... less is relative to what we don't know.

Jumping from one FM to the other; people who do will have less of an edge, make more
    mistakes than they would if they stick to one FM only. Same as going from plane to
    plane.

S~!

Jumping between flight models will not be an option. We fly full real and will make the switch to the new FM.

S~!

Jumping between flight models will not be an option. We fly full real and will make the switch to the new FM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:

plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    See...Oleg has been upgrading the FM since we started with 1.0. I'm pretty certain that incremental upgrades have gone on in every major patch. Thats why we've noticed changes everywhere...the global FM values have been refined.

Now, he's introducing higher fidelity into those values but its really the same thing from the outside looking in. There isn't likely to be a switch...it'll just be.

As far as I can remember, the host computer does the FM calculations...the servers job is to keep track of positions and relate them to all others. So correct me if I'm wrong but the server load will be no more than it already is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:

plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    See...Oleg has been upgrading the FM since we started with 1.0. I'm pretty certain that incremental upgrades have gone on in every major patch. Thats why we've noticed changes everywhere...the global FM values have been refined.

Now, he's introducing higher fidelity into those values but its really the same thing from the outside looking in. There isn't likely to be a switch...it'll just be.

As far as I can remember, the host computer does the FM calculations...the servers job is to keep track of positions and relate them to all others. So correct me if I'm wrong but the server load will be no more than it already is.