Obviously I'd expect it to be to a company that Oleg would approve, but for those who like the late war era, which will not in the near future appear in BoB, what chance of the game being further developed by an external team.

I'm thinking of the planes that were being developed, but never completed (P47-N springs to mind), but the IL2 engine has so much more to give, and lets face it, PC's have caught up now with the technology, so most can run the game with settings very high at least.

This may not be possible for a lot of players at the launch of the Graphically exceptional (from screen-shots) BoB:SoW engine, so there would be interest from further IL2 add-ons after 1C stop development.

So, what chance?

Cheers, MP.

Good question.

I guess they will hold the cards as long as possible.

I guess this will repeat the Falcon4-history: The developers hold the rights but care less and less about the product and "3rd party developers" began to modify bit after bit of the original structure. The only barrier: The original EXE-file that could not be modified and is still under copyright protection.

If it wasn't for that the graphics engine would have been facelifted YEARS ago, but even for Falcon4:AF the ban was not lifted and only partial modification of the engine was allowed.

A real pitty IMHO.

PF_Coastie's Avatar Senior Member
    Some things are being farmed out already, like maps. I do not see Oleg "giving" the FM's or DM's away though. But that will be done by anyway by people who don't care what Oleg thinks.

Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
    Some things are being farmed out already, like maps. I do not see Oleg "giving" the FM's or DM's away though. But that will be done by anyway by people who don't care what Oleg thinks.
    If the DM and FM can be protected, just with the progress being made on maps at the moment, this could be potentially, one of the most exicting times for il2.

Oleg said this here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2429

We do not have any plans to support IL-2 anymore. We are 500% busy with BoB and following after that series. 4.09m will be the last. The protection from cheaters will make other group of enthusiasts that are in contact with me. We will be able only to answer their questions, but will do nothing ourselves in code. Simply, because no time. 4.09 is some user's made add-on. Our work is only to check and compile.

This would suggest it already is being outsourced with 4.09.

cheers fruitbat

Outsourced and OpenSource is a differnce, though. While 4.09 is made outside his company, they still test, compile and code the stuff.

Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
    Outsourced and OpenSource is a differnce, though. While 4.09 is made outside his company, they still test, compile and code the stuff.
    Agreed% that there is a difference.

However, who's to say later down the line, if say, maps are produced that are good enough, that they won't be implemented. 4.09 is already at least one patch more than we were 'promised'.

However, more importantly, does this

"The protection from cheaters will make other group of enthusiasts that are in contact with me"

mean translated from olegish, that there will be third party development of cheat protection, sanctioned and subject to approvall by oleg?

fruitbat

Well, actually 4.09 will only include what was promised for 4.08 before (plus some extras). So, while 4.09 is one patch more than promised, the contend is what we allready hoped for in 4.08.

The question is, however, if the little support (compiling 3rd party stuff) will continue after that.

The cheat protection is a different matter as it does not touch the program itself. It's rather a system to check certain files and compare their checksums (sort of). So basically they ignored that and hope the community will come up with something.

Question? If the DM and FM can be protected, does this retain the integrity of il2? Can it be abused if these are locked down?

As to if there will be further support for compiling 3rd party stuff, i guess that will depend very much on the content. I can't imagine a person that has created such a thing as this, would cut it off so completely that if they saw something good, would ignore it.

fruitbat

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Keep in mind that Oleg has valid business reasons for letting IL-2 die. He wants all of us to buy SOW as he makes no money if we keep playing IL-2 and ignore his new creation. If I was Oleg I wouldn't let anyone touch IL-2 once he walks away from it.

Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
    Keep in mind that Oleg has valid business reasons for letting IL-2 die. He wants all of us to buy SOW as he makes no money if we keep playing IL-2 and ignore his new creation. If I was Oleg I wouldn't let anyone touch IL-2 once he walks away from it.
    See i don't get that. It's because of il2, and its continuing interest, that not only will i buy SoW, but plan to build my next Pc for it.

If oleg released Bob, and it was just il2 with 6dof, with the map and planes, i'd buy it.

Il2 is constant advertising. how many times have you seen threads where someone has bought say, pacific fighters, and people have said yeah, but 1946 is what you want. The latest, best version.

fruitbat

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►