chris455's Avatar Senior Member
    Oleg, we badly need a 2nd New Guinea map

Many people have wondered why very important places like Lae, Salamaua, Hollandia, Wewak, etc. were left out of the New Guinea map where so much of the aerial fighting took place in the South Pacific. These places are located on the Northern coast of Papua New Guinea, and were used by both the Japanese, and later, the allies as they advanced up the coast of New Guinea. They all had airfields that played an important role in the fighting during the early half of the war. This new map should also include Port Moresby. (I am aware that Port Moresby is also in the exisiting map.)

Not having a map that features these bases makes a realistic USAAF or IJAAF campaign difficult if not impossible.

Will it be possible for 1C to provide an additional map of New Guinea (New Guinea map 2) that will have these places?

Thank you Oleg.

I don't have PF yet, but from what I've read some very important areas have been left out.
    Lets just hope they'll come in a patch.

And I just want to say thanks to all the devlopers for this great series!

Port Morseby and Lae on one map , never . i dodnt think the IL2 engine could handle that.

only if the east-west sectors would be very small.

the actual NG map is good for fighting from July 42 (japanese landings in Buna) , playing the KokodaTrail fight , over the Milne Bay battle to the allied recapture of Buna January 43.

an additional northCoast map from Buna to Lae/Finshhafen would be nice (very personal ).

and at the actual NG map there should be added one ore two bases at Wanigela ( i know, you can set bases now in PF, but given are better )

and im a big fan of the here http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...f=114;t=001277 suggested "a new Guadalcanal" map - call it "the Slot"

hell , that would be a nice campaign !

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    That's my drawing. Notice that if you dump the notion that the map rectangle has to be aligned in a particular direction, you can indeed fit port moresby and lae on 1 map.

tater

chris455's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
    That's my drawing. Notice that if you dump the notion that the map rectangle has to be aligned in a particular direction, you can indeed fit port moresby and lae on 1 map.

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, and as you have shown, it need be no larger than the current map. It's a great idea Tater.

A.K.Davis's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
    That's my drawing. Notice that if you dump the notion that the map rectangle has to be aligned in a particular direction, you can indeed fit port moresby and lae on 1 map. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if this is possible with the FB engine, or if compass North would end up not being North?

Possibly if Tater's red rectangle were oriented longitudinally rather than diagonally, it could still encompass Lae, Salamua and Port Moresby. Any overrun east and west could be handled like it is in maps like Online MT with no pressing need for detail in those directions. I agree, omitting Lae from a map with Port Moresby is like having a Moscow map without Moscow in it. Wait...that's not a very good example..since that's what we've got! Transit times are the biggest problem for the PTO historical distances involved for use in co-op gameplay, but who says you can't airstart within a reasonable distance from the target to lessen flight time? Where there's a will, there's a way...point.

Yeah, that is certainly a possibility I neglected. Here's a revised map:

tater

Another idea I had was simple "fake" map. A full-sized map, that was 99.9999% water.

The 2 land areas are big enough for an airstrip, primitive port area, and a couple villages. Use a coral colored strip, copied from Palau or Wake for one, and grass for the other. No big huge bases, they look "wrong" most of the time to me. No Marston mat cause it looks wrong for IJ forces. Grass and coral dust only.

Anyway, you could use it as a CV map stand in for misc attacks, all kinds of things.

BTW, there is no reason the land areas couldn't literally be cut-and-pasted from extant maps, complete with airfield, towns, etc.

tater