Wow! My system was about 2 1/2yrs old and had ground to a halt! Even an upgrade to 7600 AGP card did not make a difference.
    My system

Althlon XP2400+
    ASUS A7N8X motherboard
    1gb RAM
    NVidia 7600GS
    160GB Hard drive
    Track IR3
    CH Fighterstick
    CH Throttle (gameport)
    Thrustmaster Elite pedals

So far I have
    --------------
    WinXP SP2
    Nvidia video and M'board drivers
    IL2 1946
    --------------
    It's like a new computer.

I have 23 processes runing compared to the 45 running before.

The problem is, shes running so good I don't want to put anything else on her to spoil it!!!!!

If Only BoB would come along and I can upgrade to a decent computer! (I'm holding out )

I did pretty much the same last week mate - something that I do regularly once every 6-8 months or so ( I keep all non system related files on another disc, and all installation files for different applications I want to run on it on CDs ). For me a total re-installation takes about 2-3 hours, and then I am back again).

A LOT of cr@p ends up on your computer during the years. Even though I did this just 6 months ago, I ended up with at least 7-8 extra FPS, maybe not too much for some, but when you are avaraging around 30 and then hits almost 40 after reinstallment... and so much smoother, it makes a huge difference. I have pretty much the same HW as you.

R_Target's Avatar Senior Member
    It's a good feeling.

Once your system is installed and running nice, use Acronis True image and make an image of it (snap shot). Load the junk later if needed, But if you ever need to get back to that fresh fast install just restore the image in 5 mins and you are good to go. You can make various images as you go along also and just name them such as Fresh Install, After Loading 1946, After Loading SP2 etc.

If you have a totAl HD crash just use a the bootable CD method to get up on running with a new HD.

PS

Keep your main OS partition small 10-20 GB so the image is small and create another partition called GamePart-1 to install the games on.

With a small OS partition you can actually put the image on a DVD for extra safe backup.

A 10-20 GB partition usually makes for a 4 GB image as its compressed.

I have my system dual boot.

Both are Imaged, onto DVD.

One is for all things considered PC.

the other is only a Install with all gaming perifials, and required game addon progs like Teamspeak, etc.

I game with 24 processes running.

When ever I need to, I can drop in and reimage the install with my DVD and have a fresh install again in less than 30 minutes.

Oh I have 4 partitions, two used for OS's and one for MyDocuments, and the other for game installs. So I never loose my Games, or my Documents due to a OS install.

Yea TOAD thats the way to go. I cant find any better alternative to imaging OS partitions. Simple Critical Data is simply copied to reciprical HD's or backed up on Jump Drive or DVD.

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    Same here!

Just upgraded from a Radeon 9500TX to a 7600GS.

New 500W PSU (from 250W)

Clean install; Got NOD32 and dropped over 80Mb of RAM from the Norton I had on before.

1Gb of RAM from before but still the game's a bit limited by the 2.6GHz P4 processor.

Now I just need time to get some flying in.

Its hard to believe anyone use Norton. Norton is for those who are to naive to know about NOD, AVG, or Avira. Norton was good under DOS and then it turned inot a resource hog under windows.

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Chris0382:
    Its hard to believe anyone use Norton. Norton is for those who are to naive to know about NOD, AVG, or Avira. Norton was good under DOS and then it turned inot a resource hog under windows.
    Well, life is a learning process.

I just did a fresh OS Xp Pro(modified for games), and this is the result.

Before the Reinstall my pc was using 430mb of my ram and i was running 32 processes in the background.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►