tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    I got inspired by a thread in skinning room where a I-185 is used for that purpose. Its performance is somewhat comparable with 190A4, with better maneouverability. I-185 or Fw190A4 seem a good choices for late Ki-44-IIc model with Ha-109 (1520hp) and 4 20mm cannons. Any other suggestions here?

What about earlier, lighter armed and weaker powered (Ha-41, 1200hp) versions? IAR maybe?

I'm looking for a plane that would present the best compromise between performance, armament, DM, looks,...

Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki/TOJO!!

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    Anything but I-185. That plane doesn't resemble anything built with the materials and technology available during WW2. With that DM you could use The I-185 as a Japanese tank "hack", but not Japanese aircraft "hack".

Polikarpov I-185

Originally posted by tigertalon:
    I got inspired by a thread in skinning room where a I-185 is used for that purpose. Its performance is somewhat comparable with 190A4, with better maneouverability. I-185 or Fw190A4 seem a good choices for late Ki-44-IIc model with Ha-109 (1520hp) and 4 20mm cannons. Any other suggestions here?

What about earlier, lighter armed and weaker powered (Ha-41, 1200hp) versions? IAR maybe?

I'm looking for a plane that would present the best compromise between performance, armament, DM, looks,...

..... Consider the F6F Hellcat.

I don't thimk the I-185 is as sturdy. I have shot down various I-185 flying spitfires and Hellcats with no problem. It's tougher than Ki-43, but anything is.
    Performance-wise, it's the closer we have

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    The closest hack by looks is a Ki-84-Ia unfortunately...which takes you to the next level of performance.

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    tigertalon::
    Earlier -- lighter armed -- weaker powered

Believe it or not...

MiG-3

MiG-3 doesn't *look* like a Ki-44. In fact, it looks exactly the opposite -- pointy nose with water engine, and no bubble canopy.

But they shared the exact same design goal -- high speed and high altitude strategic interceptor, which nobody else bothered to try except the original P-38 concept, and both the MiG and -44 surprised their respective enemies at high altitudes. If I recall, Ki-44 was the only Japanese aircraft that could reasonably intercept the early B-29 raaiids in 1944. MiG-3 was the only Russian aircraft that could reasonably intercept German recon planes in 1941.

Damage modelling is "moderate" to some say "flamable" for the MiG, so maybe it could work although Ki-44 was not as "flammable" as Zero I should think.

In 1941, Soviet pilots, except the very best who knew how to use speed in combat (speed is king), hated the high wing loading, poor turning ability, and fast landing speed of the MiG-3. Japanese pilots, except the very best Army pilots who knew how to use speed in combat (speed is king) hated the high wing loading, poor turning ability, and fast landing speed of the Ki-44...until the B-29s came.

For hardcore screenshot simulation, it won't work. For hardcore air war simulation, MiG-3 may be the closest thing. So think about it. It was the MiG-3 that I was planning to use for Ki-44 in a Pacific campaign I was sorta planning before I got kidnapped into another sim.

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
    MiG-3
    Excellent choice, the best suggestion so far IMO. It's lagging behind a bit only in the 'looks' category.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►