Whats that somekind of ground attack, can someone explain. Still learning English

They were used for ultra low level bombing the parachute slowed the bombs rate of decent so the aircraft dropping it wouldn`t get caught by the blast

It is a parachuted bomb that floats in the air over the targets then explodes. Looks like a fuel air explosion of modern weapons. It is VERY lethal against vehicles and other soft targets. BOOM!

You gotta be kidding me we have that thing in PF. But then will it make bombing easier or harder. Like you'll have fly closer to the vehicle collumb of further? But wouldn't this bomb kinda not land straight because of the wind or something

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adadaead:
    You gotta be kidding me we have that thing in PF. But then will it make bombing easier or harder. Like you'll have fly closer to the vehicle collumb of further? But wouldn't this bomb kinda not land straight because of the wind or something <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easier in a sense because the wide range effect of the air explosion. Harder because it is low level high speed pass directly over the target area. Much higher chance of getting hit by AAA.

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    They were very effective, usually used against aircraft and AAA at airfields, not against motorized convoys (there weren't many motorized convoys to attack in the PTO, anyway).

The idea was to be masked from AAA fire by being below the horizon, you'd flash over the airdrome, dump the frags, and shovel on the coal for home. The window for you to be over the target was very small, and a % of the guns wouldn't even be able to point in your direction until you were gone.

tater

That is true Tater. The only difference is that in FB/PF the AAA is deadly accurate. It is still alot of fun and your ingress setup could make the entire operation easy or hard depending.

Its gonna be a fun ride thats for sure. I just wish I had them on my F4U-1A as I come screaming over the trees shooting at Zekes trying to take off.

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    BTW, I've always read that parafrags had instantaneous fuses, so they should blow on impact, not as an air-explosion.

tater

Denwad's Avatar Junior Member
    similar effect can be obtained in AEP/FB etc. by setting bomb fuses to 2 seconds

allows He-111 to drop 2 SC-2000 at 50m and speed away