just curious what kind of boats do you have running your rivers , and are any like these?

hueywolf123's Avatar Senior Member
    Nope, we've got a couple of paddle wheelers on the Murray river (and a real stupid looking one on Sydney harbour), we've got car punts that ferry cars across rivers by pulling cables fixed on either side, but nothing quite like the pics.
    Doesn't look like it'd handle much swell at all

got some of these

Celeon999's Avatar Senior Member

bunkerratt's Avatar Senior Member
    ..finally.. a picture of wilhelm shulz's first command... ..all stop finished with engines..

The_Silent_O's Avatar Senior Member
    Post Capitalistic Apartment, Northern Virginia with FW 190A-5 Hanger
    Hey "Blasto"

Is that the Mississippi River???

for everybody else This is what they normally "push" and I've seen them push a lot more barges than this...

yeah , thats the mississippi. yeah i took those pictures when they werent doing anything. actually they were swapping engines on one , and the other one was standing by waiting for their north bound tow to be built.as far as swells go , well swells suck in these boats. ive had that green and white one in nearly 4 feet, out in the mississippi sounds , i thought it was funny , but the deckhand kept saying were gonna die. but the bigger boats keep their engine room doors shut due to the harbor tug and ship swells , and yeah they shove more than that sometimes . ive seen the line boats come down with 48 loads before , i have seen 50 before. ive got a few pics of some tows , i didnt take the picture of the one with the aerial view though.

i was looking for a picture of the barge tugs but i couldn't find one, so that one was the best i could come up with. on the columbia river they use very similar looking boats to tow chip barges. they tow them with a long huge chaincause the wood chips in the barges is piled so high they couldnt see over the top.

ahh woodchips , we used to shove from the arkansas river , down to convent la. the neat thing about fog , is that you will be pushed into the bank at night waiting on the fog to clear , while other boats pass you buy. woodchips are hot when they load them , so at night when they cool off they create their own fogbank. my mom took this pic of us shoving out of lock 7 on the arkansas.

i used to deliver wood chips in a truck to assorted paper mills i would unload a truckload next to a barge being unloaded and those things are huge, they would hold hundreds of truckloads. it would take them a week working 24/7 to unload a barge using an overhead crane with a bucket on the end. those look like small barges your pushing but none the less i think that might be a fun job.

every time i cross the columbia river in to Astoria OR i can see a coast guard cutter and usually two or three container ships out there, the river is three miles wide at that point, and i think man i could sneak up there and send three torps into that container and one in to that cutter before they would know i was coming. so i wonder, do you ever look for periscopes. I know there is at least one WWII sub tied up on the arkansas a few miles down river from tulsa