Breeze147's Avatar Senior Member
    Besides their ***es, I mean. They couldn't have sat on bare metal in a bouncing, cold aircraft for hours on end. What did they use for padding?

Originally posted by Breeze147:
    Besides their ***es, I mean. They couldn't have sat on bare metal in a bouncing, cold aircraft for hours on end. What did they use for padding?
    they sat on their parachutes, man! (parachutes were in a bag attached to their ***es)

Their hands.

The IL-2 tailgunner sat on a strap suspended between the sides of the fuselage on the early twin-crew versions of the plane.

T.

Flak vest!!!!

My son did in IRAQ.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by jimDG:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
    they sat on their parachutes, man! (parachutes were in a bag attached to their ***es) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why the seats look hollow - "bucket" seats

Originally posted by jimDG:

...they sat on their parachutes...

Breeze147's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by womenfly:
    Flak vest!!!!

My son did in IRAQ.
    As did I in Vietnam. I didn't think they had flak vests in WWII. I can't imagine sitting on the parachute, either, but I guess that is the obvious answer.

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    They did have flak vests in WW2. They were issued to bomber crewmen, who, instead of putting them on, stood on them or wrapped themselves in the stuff. They were more like flak blankets than vests.

And yes, the bucket seat was not what pilots sat in. Pilots used seat-parachutes, not back parachutes. It was pretty comfortable, for the time at least, also, the flight suits were quite bulky, and that bulk offered a bit of extra padding.

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Breeze147:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by womenfly:
    Flak vest!!!!

My son did in IRAQ.
    As did I in Vietnam. I didn't think they had flak vests in WWII. I can't imagine sitting on the parachute, either, but I guess that is the obvious answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See "Memphis Belle" the film...