i love the jets in iL2 and i am an avid dogfights watcher(tv show) so i see lots of the migs vs f4 and saber fights.then i came across this "Strike Fighters: Project 1" game.wow, looks good but i can't find it.my question is, are there any sims with the korea ,early vietnam fighters in them or is there a way to add them into il2. i would pay $49.99 for a korea,vietnam era fighter sim like il2. hint,hint

cindy

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    WoE -- Wings Over Europe -- NATO vs Soviet 1960s to 1970s -- is the latest releace in the StrikeFighers series. Its available for download at the developer's website (thirdwire.com).

You should still find older SF and WoV in stores. I found my SF in the bargain bin at Office Something (one of those big office supply stores).

<span class="ev_code_yellow">WARNING</span>: Out of Box, the SF series to me are frustrating -- with cripplingly slow controls and overly conservative visuals. This all can be radically improved by near infinite customization of the sim. If you are hardcore Classical era jets, including far beyond what is available Out-Of-Box, then find this sim, but be prepared to work to mold it into an amazingly enjoyable look into the past. The chance to work up a classical era SAC vs PVO scenario with a stunning array of 3rd Party mods is why I stopped using FB/PF and got into the SF instead.

https://store.thirdwire.com/store.htm

And here a very good quality aircrafts to download.
    http://www.column5.us/

tagTaken2's Avatar Banned
    Wings Over Vietnam isn't bad. If you're used to Il-2 you might find it a bit iffy, but if you're one of those happy to mod and tweak, you might love it.

http://www.thirdwire.com/project_wov.htm

WOV improves a LOT with this addon, even just the first part:

http://www.yankeeairpirate.net/

If you want a decent Korea sim, try MiG Alley (old, uglyish, but fantastic), or wait for Luthier's effort.

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    There are a few downsides to the Strike Fighters series. First, you can't start and shut down engines, it's just not a function that was programmed into the game engine (unless that has changed since I bought WoV). I find this a bit of a realism breaker.

Second, getting online with this series can be a real bear. As far as I know, your install must match the installs of everyone else on the server and even then you might have issues, unless this has changed from past experiences. If you intend to play offline only, then this is a non-issue

Third, it's an open concept sim which is great, but the freeware development has really slowed and Yankee Air Pirate is all payware, so it can get to be a really expensive sim. Buy the sim for $10, spend $95 in add-ons. I don't think this is what TK had in mind when developing the series, but that is what it has become.

Pay attention, Il2 can go the same route if the game code is released to a third party.

I often play Wings Over Vietnam. It is a Fun (big emphasis on FUN) game that will make you love IL2 even more. Where IL2 is more serious, WOV is more like fun. THat is not to say it is easy. The inefectiveness of the Aim 9 and Aim 7 is moddelled just as described by the veterans of that war. Go ahead and buy it, Get in the Crusader and kill 6 or 7 Migs then RTB, what a blast! It cures the IL2, "I get my @ss kicked" blues.
    You can mod it for FREE and have fun with it. I just added some terrain I love it. I once modded it so I could fly the Migs. It was great FUN. This sim looks good, plays fun, gets me fired up. Its worth the price of admision.
    Here is the King of Battle.

Skycat_2's Avatar Senior Member
    When I was looking for Wings Over Vietnam the cheapest version I could find was the Vietnam Attack Pack on Amazon.com. You get WOV and another game together for under $10.

I loaded up WOV a few weeks ago and I agree it is fun. The ground objects are nicely modeled. Seeing Patton tanks, etc. in action is a nice change also. However, IL-2's AI routines, FMs, etc. are more sophisticated.

Other than WoV and Strike Fighters, I can't think of many other post-WWII jet sims that aren't rooted in modern warfare. Rowan's "MiG Alley" was one of the few but that sim is from almost ten years ago.

Project Galba based on Oleg's upcoming Storm of War engine seems to the best hope of a 1950s jet sim. The chances of seeing anything new for the IL-2 series (WWII related or otherwise) now seem officially to be nil.

Wings Over Vietnam looks to be my best bet,mig alley will (demo)not run on winxp and i doubt i can find a 1999 game in store.but wov looks and sounds nice as i am a bf1942 modder,i love tweaking.was kind of a let down in il2 but i understand why,a lot less(no) cheating.i really cant wait to lockon fire a aim9 and KABOOM a mig. my bf thinks i'm a freak for liking this stuff.who cares,i like what i like .

capt.cindy

btw
    thank you guys for the links and all the help

Go ahead and buy it, there is a complete Korea mod out for free here http://forum.combatace.com/index.php...oads&showcat=2

some pix

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/tedinaz/img00018.jpg[/IMG

Skycat_2's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey mnsx275,

Is this 'complete Korea mod' a single package or do I have to dig through all the download areas and put one together myself? I couldn't find a link to a total mod.