Is there anyone here that has some real data on the P51 series. I find the P51d a dog to fly these days. The P51c(mustangIII) seems fine though.
    I'm just wondering if more of you still think(its a feeling, got no data to back it up) that there is something wrong.
    I also think that 50call should do more damage, not ripping off wings, but more fuelleaks, engine damage, control damage and pilot kills. Even at point blank pilot armour stops a 50call bullet now. I think thats not right. Well, tell me what you think......(oh my got, hope i did not start the P51 whine thread..... )

You were doing good, until this point.

its a feeling, got no data to back it up) that there is something wrong.

But I agree, data on the P51 is hard to come by, especially for turn rates and whatnot.

You were doing good, until this point.

its a feeling, got no data to back it up) that there is something wrong.

But I agree, data on the P51 is hard to come by, especially for turn rates and whatnot.
    I know, thats why i'm asking here...... Must be somebody with some usefull stuff.

As far as .50 cal lethality, Arnie's test showed 3-5 M2 bullets to be equivalent to 1 Hispano shell (in terms of numbers of hits per kill).

This is correct vs anecdotal evidence. I forget the source, but supposedly 3 M2 guns are as destructive as 1 Hispano (therefore 4-5 bullets per shell due to the different rates of fire). As you'd expect, the cannons are more effective at blowing away structure, and the M2 kills more often by PKs, fires and control damage.

The oft complained about M2 weakness is mostly a product of a buggy FW-190 DM, in particular, the lack of fuel leaks and fires in 4.01. Fight any other planes, and you'll light fires to your heart's content.

There is something wrong with the P51d for sure. It flies like it has a constantly full fuse tank behind the behind the pilot. The COG is totally screwed up right now.

As far as the .50s, I think they are average to OK, but the REAL problem is that as soon as you pull the trigger the nose of both the P51 and the P47 begin this idiotic swaying from side to side, making it almost impossible to put any meaningful bursts together.

Couple this with fuselage damage BUGS in both the 109 and 190s, and there is the basis of the problem.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    IMO the P-51 could use a bit more powerand the wings still come off too easily. Although both things have improved. I found that by using pitch and throttle I could attain a cruise speed closer to what the historical cruise speed on a P-51 is (B/C &D) but it still seems to lack power. Especially up high. The wings break off too easily and totaslly without warning even when minimal stick pressure is applied. I just deal with it and try to learn to use the plane as best i can but it does get frustrating. Personally I think the C should perform like the MkIII and the MkII should perform a bit closer to the P-51 from the first patch with the D slightly less stellar than the C... slightly. Just my 2 cents.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    i broke the wing on a p51D by opening up the throttle sharply, the last time i flew it

Slickun's Avatar Senior Member
    I've been flying the Mustang III a lot. Weak, weak guns. Rest is pretty good, though.

learn to use maneuver flaps.

Weak guns?! LOL!

That's bull. .50's are fine.

lbhskier37's Avatar Senior Member
    I find this ripping off of wings very strange. Since the patch I have been flying the MKIII online most of the time and have yet to lose a wing. Even before the patch I never lost my wings. I think this losing wings is definitly a stick settings thing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►