Bankoletti's Avatar Banned
    I've been playing with these two Italian fighters lately and I got a weird feeling - it seems to me that Breda SAFAT is much more powerful on the Fiat compared to Macchi. This feeling is not based only on one engagement, but a lot of them. When using SAFAT with G55 targets simply go down sooner compared to 205, it's almost like having two M2 .50cals. It's maybe hard to notice since both planes have cannons, but when you exhaust them (and that does not happen soon, since you have something like 250 rounds per gun), you can still bite with the nose MGs.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Bankoletti:
    I've been playing with these two Italian fighters lately and I got a weird feeling - it seems to me that Breda SAFAT is much more powerful on the Fiat compared to Macchi. This feeling is not based only on one engagement, but a lot of them. When using SAFAT with G55 targets simply go down sooner compared to 205, it's almost like having two M2 .50cals. It's maybe hard to notice since both planes have cannons, but when you exhaust them (and that does not happen soon, since you have something like 250 rounds per gun), you can still bite with the nose MGs.

Any thoughts?
    lol, do you actually realize, that the G55 is a mod-airplaine ? That might give you a little hint in solving that strange 'mystery'.

Bankoletti's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by jengizbengiz:
    lol, do you actually realize, that the G55 is a mod-airplaine ? That might give you a little hint in solving that strange 'mystery'.
    lol, do you actually realize that Fiat G.55 came into the sim with the last official patch, v4.09?

Well, it's true it was only an AI plane, but I modded the plane myself and only added a cockpit without touching anything else.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    If its AI they probably gave it better gun stats to help it stay competitive.

Ask TD in the bugs thread over at 1C.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Bankoletti:

Any thoughts?
    Can't remember but does our G.55 have only two machine guns or four? I haven't really played with that plane but I think I remember a few different armament options.

They probably use the same gun with different convergence, ie box vs point convergence
    I noticed the G55 meets more at a point, where the Macchi's is more of a spread. That could be the difference.

Bill

You're not going crazy, TD has introduced a new Breda SAFAT 12,7mm model with 4.09.

Cr.42, G.50, C.202 and C.205 use the same Breda model

G-55, Re.2000 and SM.79 use a different model

Dont ask me why, it's just the way it is currently...

that would explain why the SM79 reargunner is so a killer - in comparison when you shooting with the FIAT and Macchi fighters

I hope they didn't overdo it, after all the breda safat was a sub-par weapon.

I havent had a closer look at the new Breda SAFAT but the one used by the C.200/202/205, etc. is very weak for a couple of reasons:

- its HE shell has a tiny explosive radius (5cm instead of 15cm for HE shells of all other HMGs)

- it has a 1:1 AP/HE belting whereas (AFAIK) the standard belting was a 1:3 AP/HE loading

But there are so many smaller or larger shortcomings withing IL-2s weapon modelling:

Many aircraft share weapons of other nations as stand-ins, for example the A6M Zero instead of using its domestic 20mm uses the very same MG FF/M that is found on German fighters, the 13mms on the late A6M and IAR81a also are not genuine models but MG131s. The light MG found on the Zeros is also not the correct japanese version but simply the MG15 found on He111, Ju88, etc.. and with wrong belting as well, an AP only