TsuChi's Avatar Member

arturchix's Avatar Senior Member
    Check the very first post of Ubisoft's answers, posted almost 1.5 years ago.
    Originally posted by Yaiden:
    "You can play the game for free as long as you want! You can build your city, hire heroes, play every feature, form alliances with other players and enjoy the game. However if you want to develop your kingdom without any limits, enter the rankings and be a part of the story, you will have to subscribe to HOMM Kingdoms at a small cost.
    One of our main objectives is to ensure the game is balanced, that is why we don't plan to include any item selling system or any other buyable features / specific skills."

DVali's Avatar Junior Member
    So the question arising now is ... how much is "a small cost"?

is the most NOT balanced FREE game that I ever heard

TsuChi's Avatar Member
    We wrote some feedback in the beta forum and here is a change.

Tylem

We changed the billing advantages.

The players without subscription will have access to 3 cities and 3 heroes, at the beginning. Few weeks after, it will be 4 and 4. 5 and 5 later, etc.

We decided to change it, but it didn't appears in game yet. We will change the text and add some visuals announcements as soon as possible.
    I dont know if it is 100% confirmed, they might change things but the most important UBI is open to change sth and this is HUGE step toward players

so dont give up!
    beta is not over yet

Yes it is huge step forward.
    I hope in the future the game will be free witout any payment

TsuChi's Avatar Member
    I have just received private message from one of possible future players. I decided to share answer with all – I think many of you ask the same questions. It is translated from other language by google translate so not all is perfect but it is understandable.

Welcome TsuChi

I noticed that you're very active on the board and have a lot of information about the game, so let me ask you a few questions.

I would like to know exactly how it looks from the fees. In your topic quite clear that explained, but in September it took a little time. So how it looks on the present moment? Whether the fee is still optional? The fee is 5euro/month, right? Is there a possibility to pay different currency, or if you know anything about this possibility so that would be implemented?
    I also wonder what bonuses come from fees. When you participated in beta whether players from the "premium" had a big advantage over those without it?

Without a fee, you can control a limited number of cities and heroes (the limit increases with time), whether it is a major disadvantage? Is it strongly limits the development of the kingdom? How it looks in practice.
    One last question. The Screen, which appears on forum such information "remain connected to The Game with no limits." Does this mean that without a subscription time that we spend in the game is limited?

I hope you find time to answer me.
    Thanks in advance and greet

ingame screen about benefits of subscription
    • Settle more towns - Actually, the free version of the game lets you control 3 towns. Later, you will be able to control more towns freely, but subscribing will remove this limit immediately. Your power will spread over Ashan!
    • Recruit more heroes - The free version of Heroes Kingdoms lets you play freely but you can only hire a maximum of 3 heroes. Subscribing allows you to hire more heroes, obeying all your whims!
    • Use the upgraded calculator- Upgrade the battle calculator to be more efficient in combat and crush your enemies!
    • Upgraded mailbox - Your mailbox provides you with the basic needs to receive and exchange messages. Upgrade it to get more storage capacity, more management options, contact more persons at a time, and a blacklist!
    • Permanent connection - When inactive, the game sends you back to the portal after a few minutes. You will remain connected as long as you wish!
    • Training mode available - Train up yourself in a least aggressive world and be ready for the new season
    • Quicker item unbind - Equiping an item binds it to your hero, it takes 4 days for the item to be unbinded for use with another hero. Subscribing lowers the cooldown down to 1 day!
    I have been in 3 betas and pay options have never been tested. So I don’t know if it is balanced or not. I can tell from what I read on French forums that players are not happy with it. They say it is very unbalanced
    I can only foresee the development of players who don’t pay and judge it by my 1,5 year experience with this game. Sadly, I agree with French players.
    Hope devs reed their opinions and do sth with it.

I don’t know about other currencies, bcs I have never paid for this game bcs I was playing betas.

This is all I can say now. The rest you have to judge and see for yourself.

TC

Well you can add that the limitation to 3 heroes 3 cities is during ONLY 75 days. When on the betas you have played yo would reach the limitation on the first 24 hours (considering you will get enlister level 3 before your 3rd hero). The speed of the cities depends on the player style and territories and players around, but of course is extremely unbalanced, when you arrive to day 75 the paying players will have the double of cities (and they probably have stolen you all your cities and captured your heroes). It's probable that you become able to have more cities but when you only have one and all heroes captured is very probable that you have abandoned the game one month ago.

Maybe it's the part of the game it can be played for not subscription players, but as the demo it is, it shouldn't be played on the same servers where no-limit players play.

I think that my idea of micro server as demo of the game should be considered. As a world with ALL players under that limitations allow to see all the game but not to win it, and players soon or later stop playing the demo server and decide if they like to pay for the game and start the server with the same conditions as others on a full serious server.

PD: a season/round lasts ~150 days

I have no problem with paying a monthly fee for a good game. If it's a good game and if they ever release a U.S. server, $6-7/mo a month isn't much to pay. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be on the computer anyway - you should be getting a better job.

sorry guys but this is hugely unbalanced... you need to find other ways to give pay players a leg up..

i don't know if you're all noobs to persistant rts or if you're pretending this isn't huge because you work for the company, but having more cities and more places to attack from is absolutely integral to the tide of a battle.

even money grubbing prts like evony and kingory know better than to limit cities and heroes.

75 days is a MASSIVE amount of time to be noticeably weaker, granted with the fact that you don't lose all your troops softens the blow, but the bottom line is if i have 5 towns producing troops and you have 3, you've already lost, period. Especially the way troops recruitment works in this game.

and here's my problem, it was $5 last i heard, and i was going to pay it gladly, now after actually playing, i'd still probably spend 5, but i sure won't be paying 10..

not because i can't afford it, but because frankly i don't think it's worth more than 5 in it's current state AND because i don't WANT a huge advantage over certain players, i'm not 10 years old, i enjoy a challenge. so basically the current set up has ensured that i won't pay, not only because it's not worth $120 a year, but because there's way too much advantage with paying.

if you say i'm wrong, you clearly have no real strategic knowledge, in a game of numbers you can't ensure one side always has 40-50% less and expect a balance of any kind.

BOTTOM LINE: If i pay and have 5 towns, every 3 town noob in my immediate vicinity is going to be dead long before the 75 days is up. period. It would be strategic suicide to wait for them to gain their extra towns.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE WANTED TO SEE HAPPEN ON MOST "FREE" GAMES:

Make 1 server for free players that is basically handicapped, limit the cities for everyone there, and heroes, and maybe even recruitable units.

Make 1 server for p2p with no limits, advertise heavily about how much more intense and fun it would be with more cities and heroes..

i'd be on the p2p server. guaranteed.

you could even make rewards, like 1 free full round on the p2p server for the winning alliance if you win in the free server, and just make sure that their stint on the p2p is so much more amazing that they don't want to return to f2p. more troop diversity, heroes, cities, whatever.

this would keep population lower on the free server, while actively advertising the p2p one.

mark my words: giving pay players advantages makes them enjoy the short term upper hand, but truth be told, deep down, it makes the game boring knowing you can't lose, whether you're 10 years old or 30. so don't, make 2 servers with completely balanced play, or there's no way it'll last long term or have any fame in the online world. just like the other 5 billion free to play, faceless clones that people have long since cast aside due to balance issues that frustrate or bore them in the long run.