That happened 4.09m, and i do only wonder is that intentionally coded in AI...never happened on other patches:

We were in pair, me and leader AI in freie jagd, so we did met 3 Li-2 preparing to land and AI shot one down and appeared passive when i had to deal 2 Li's my own. It didn't go well so i only managed to make them smoke and one did smoke heavily and it seemed that i destroyed leading plane controls cause they did start to circle toward the ground...Very slowly. With no ammunition i had to wait until they start to burn and crash cause AI plane seemed passive...

It took almost five minutes when first did start to burn, then...my passive AI leader came down...did shoot few rounds in burning plane and flew away...Li flew another 3 minutes burning and then crashed to the ground.

AI plane effectively and intentionally stole the kill. No worse than human kill stealer would do.

Same happened to other plane...almost when on ground AI plane did awake, made on pass, did put few useless rounds in plane to score kill to him and flew away again.

Intentional kill stealing coded in AI?

No, it was there before.

Placebo effect.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    AI has been stealing kills since .... since..

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    Thou ist misinformed, for thou must understand that benevolent AI hast been illegally aquisitioning aereal targets of opportunity since times of antiquity...

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    Absolutely true; 'friendly' AI at Veteran and Ace will steal your kills shamelessly. I think that they are coded for destroying enemy aircraft, but some flaw in the system prompts them to hang around and grab the player's cripples even rather than engaging an active undamaged e/a.

Your best bet for avoiding this kind of behavior is to go into the Full Mission Builder and demote your wingmen to Average or Rookie. Of course, that makes them (and by extension, YOU) easy meat for enemy AI Average and higher fighters.

Personally, I don't tolerate 'friendly' Aces, and I usually limit Veterans to my own flight of four. Fives and Sevens are always going to be shameless victory *****s, so unless you don't ever want to get credit for the ammo you've expended, those guys should be demoted to Rookie every time.

cheers

horseback

I believe there should be a mod for this from AAA. That is when the ai steals your kill a audio track ai pilots voice comes on and he taunts and laughs at you..

icrash's Avatar Senior Member
    Only cripple your AI team won't kill is the one that is the one that mananged to get on your tail.

Rjel's Avatar Senior Member
    I think most guys always fly against Ace level AI because to do anything less isn't manly. No offense to our female pilots intended. I've had much more enjoyable fights against Veteran level pilots. They seem to make more human like maneuvers. And mistakes occasionally.

I think the AI mod that is out now really has improved what has been one of the biggest failings in IL2. Maybe it isn't a failing as much as we have all flown against the AI for so long now we really know all it's moves. But the mod seems to have given the AI pilots a few new tricks. I hope it makes it into the upcoming mod package. I think it would make coops much better for you online guys.

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by icrash:
    Only cripple your AI team won't kill is the one that is the one that mananged to get on your tail.
    Exactly and it's always been like that. They are no where to be found even while you frantically hit the "Help me" key. But then you get on the tail on an enemy and suddenly they are crowding your sky, trying to get hits on your plane. And they have an uncanny sense of when you run out of ammo and therefore can't 'steal back' your own kill. They seem to know you're out and then move in to put a few bullets in what was supposed to be your kill.

The_Stealth_Owl's Avatar Banned
    Sometimes when I am about to get a kill, and the AI steals it, I shoot the friendly AI down.