With an ATI X800 SE pci-e card, which is the better setting? Thanks.

Open GL, be sure.

Open GL, all settings to high, perfect mode.

GL it is. Thanks!

Alright, I've got a question.

Why does my 6800 run FASTER in Direct3D than OpenGL, when I use identical settings? As in, 30-60 fps faster?

I thought IL-2 was best in OpenGL, even on nVidia cards.

BaldieJr's Avatar Senior Member
    Prolly because some features of OpenGL aren't available in DirectX.

I just ran the fps test and I went from 20fps in Open Gl in a F6F-5 cockpit with the island of Okinawa right in front of me, to 45fps in Dx.

P4 2Ghz Northwood
    80Gb Seagate HD
    1Gb DDR
    Gf4 TI4200 128Mb
    Win XP Home.

"Prolly because some features of OpenGL aren't available in DirectX"

Can I ask you about that? What features do you mean lesser graphics?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PlaneEater:
    Alright, I've got a question.

Why does my 6800 run FASTER in Direct3D than OpenGL, when I use identical settings? As in, 30-60 fps faster?

I thought IL-2 was best in OpenGL, even on nVidia cards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Humm....noticed that also,must be there unified drivers? Ive noticed also that I can run it at 1600x1200 32bit with not any noticable frame losses or gains

I gave it another run and the only difference I seen was that in Dx the metal struts in the cockpit looked to move as I moved my head when looking around the cockpit, as in tears in the screen 2 lines about 2ins apart making a middle sectiion of the struts move.

This tears in the srceen didn't happen in Open GL, but I'll take that little glitch as it gives me 20odd fps more than in Open GL.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walsh2509:
    I gave it another run and the only difference I seen was that in Dx the metal struts in the cockpit looked to move as I moved my head when looking around the cockpit, as in tears in the screen 2 lines about 2ins apart making a middle sectiion of the struts move.

This tears in the srceen didn't happen in Open GL, but I'll take that little glitch as it gives me 20odd fps more than in Open GL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I forget what that's called and it's bugging me.

I found the same thing as well and started to run Fb and PF in DirectX because of it. I think I'm happier with it overall