AndyJWest's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Interesting. but definitely creepy, Jagdgeschwader2. Anyone old enough to remember the cold war who doesn't feel a shiver down their spine, can't have been paying attention.
    I remember being scared to death as youngster during the eighties with Reagan in office. That was nothing compared to the sixties though. I can't even imagine how frightening it must have been during the Cuban missile crisis. Glad those days are behind us now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only five years old at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I'm sure it affected me, if only through the effect it had on my parents. I certainly had bad dreams about 'the Bomb' in later years. It undoubtedly influenced my political development too.

I remember sometime in the early mid 70's having sleepless nights worrying about when a bomb would be dropped.

And they say modern TV is a bad influence.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
    Interesting. but definitely creepy, Jagdgeschwader2. Anyone old enough to remember the cold war who doesn't feel a shiver down their spine, can't have been paying attention.
    I remember being scared to death as youngster during the eighties with Reagan in office. That was nothing compared to the sixties though. I can't even imagine how frightening it must have been during the Cuban missile crisis. Glad those days are behind us now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only five years old at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I'm sure it affected me, if only through the effect it had on my parents. I certainly had bad dreams about 'the Bomb' in later years. It undoubtedly influenced my political development too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was only six at the time of the missile crisis, but i to remember it through the effect it had on my parents, especially my mother.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    nice find Jagdgeschwader2, btw dose pens like those are still in use today. we use them at my work when we are Xraying parts.

I have an Iraqi NBC suit complete except for the mask filter. The MPs would not let us bring the filters home when some were found to have traces of mustard gas in them . Mask, cape, gloves, boots and even the case for the nerve agent antidote kit. I dumped the contents of it because they honestly frightened me.

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:

I remember being scared to death as youngster during the eighties with Reagan in office. That was nothing compared to the sixties though. I can't even imagine how frightening it must have been during the Cuban missile crisis. Glad those days are behind us now.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We used to have drills to get into the basement shelter in school back in 63 and later, on and off. On TV there was regular Alert System Tests even in the 70's. I turned 24 in 1980 and I can tell you that some of the talk then scared me more than anything before. I still worry about some idiot in power deciding to launch. Do you remember this in 2007?

I've seen it since 63 when I was in 2nd grade and I tell ya, it doesn't get to be less.

R_Target's Avatar Banned
    I wanna plug my guitar into this baby....

WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    I remember the Cuban crises being played out on TV as it happened.
    I was only young but it was damn scary as we waited for the Russian response to the blockade.

RedToo's Avatar Senior Member
    On a related note, some fascinating pics of bomb tests:

http://www.nytimes.com/interac...e/20100914_atom.html

I too remember the threat of the bomb, I was seven in 1963 and the Cuban Missile Crisis seems to be an integral part of me, if now distant. Indeed, aged 15 and in my first school band the first song we wrote was called 'Aldermaston Marchers' (no spelling mistake).

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldermaston_Marches

RedToo.

Damn, a relic that really makes goosebumps goosebumps.
    Is there really a lot of weird stuff on ebay? I'm interested in trying it to find a unique relic!