I've been learning to shoot with the 37 in the p39, and in practice (linked in a small network) you seem to be able to make the most spectacular hits (enormous fireball, debris)and the bandit just carries on, sometimes a little smoke. Or you hit a wing with (again) a huge explosion, and nadda. Look at the replay and no damage to the target plane.

Whats up? To me it seems the key is that in the replay and in game you get this enormous debris cloud and explosion yet no damage to wing or fuselage. So it seems a glitch and not just non-exploding shells.

I looked but couldn't find any info on the 37 ammo loadout - anyone have this handy? Whats the probability of a 37 shell hitting a plane and harmlessly passing through?

Now that I think about it some more, you're right...I had experianced that sometimes too...
    mostly on fighters...

P39's M4 cannon belongs to category "crippled" in perfomance together with german mg151/20.. Noticed the same thing, sometimes you need as many as 4-5 hits to down a fighter with M-4 cannon..

But then again, if you expect M4 to be as efficient as soviet NS-37 or Kingcobras much improved 37 mm M10 cannon your wrong

edit: one thing i dislike about M4 in game, is its incredible ability to destroy heavy german cats.. So easy to knock out panzerIV and panthers with this weapon

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I've noticed this on all "single hit/kill" weapons.

The MK108, the M4, the NS-37, and so on.

Sometimes, you'll get a hit on the target, usually a wing shot, and no damage is done. I think this is normal lag and its a reality we must face....it surely happens to all guns but we never notice because there are hundreds of bullets involved per shot.

The NS-37 and MK108 win out more because they are also relatively good at rapid firing (but with high recoil). So burst shooting is important.

For the P-39, thats not really an option.

I have noticed this also. It is kind of dissapoiting to get a direct hit and see that aircraft just keep on flying like nothing ever happened. I can see this happening as a freak occurance but I have seen this many times. At 460 meters the 752 gram AP round could penetrate 20mm of armor. The magazine capacity for the M4 was 30 rounds, however a later developement of this cannon was the M10 and it's feed mechanism was modified to a disintigrating belt that allowed the ammo to be increased to 58 rounds. As far as the ammo loadout is I'm sure that they were all AP rounds. I have the Flying Guns of WW2 but not in front of me at the moment. When I look it up I will post my findings here.

HayateAce's Avatar Banned
    Any fighter glanced by the 37mm would be knocked sideways and possibly unflyable. Any fighter suffering a direct hit, would simply be history. This 37mm problem has been in place since day one, and it's not likely to change now.

remember that MK108 is more effective with Mine ammo than M4. and, there been case in war when 109 was hit with M4 in tail fuselage, it didnt cut the tail, it was still intact, but in landing when speed decreaced to level that elevators and wings didnt carry plane enought, tail collapsed. and that damage with less HE stuff what is in MK108 round, if i correctly remember, its about the same HE amount as in Mg151/20 mine round.

well i'm glad to read this
    so i am not crazy
    often i found this flying 37mm online
    offline the 37mm works fine

HayateAce's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enofinu:
    remember that MK108 is more effective with Mine ammo than M4. and, there been case in war when 109 was hit with M4 in tail fuselage, it didnt cut the tail, it was still intact, but in landing when speed decreaced to level that elevators and wings didnt carry plane enought, tail collapsed. and that damage with less HE stuff what is in MK108 round, if i correctly remember, its about the same HE amount as in Mg151/20 mine round. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep on believing lies. BTW, this thread is about 37mm not the "gee it won the war laser108".

I beleive the ammo. load out that is in this sim for the 37mm is all HE no AP because no AP ammo. was ever sent to the Russians with the lend lease P-39's. That being the case the projectile I beleive should detonate on contact.However when you fire it into the fusalage of the Betty, nothing but a puff of smoke is all you get for your trouble.