Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice looking book.

Anyone have any info on the author 'Martin Bowman'.

Is he a good/credible historian?

MrMojok's Avatar Senior Member
    I got this bad boy on preorder. I'll let you know what it's like when it comes in.

Bowman's been around for a fair while now. I think I've got a couple of his other Osprey books kicking around the house. He writes a bit like Bill Sweetman, although not as dry.

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Well this new series looks sweet.If its half as good as the Aircraft of the Aces series(the ones with all the colour profiles in the centre) it will become an instant classic I have over a dozen of those which have to go as I have a sports bag full of books unopened in the corner of my 'den' with no shelf space to put em on...Needless to say under severe pressure from wife....Give me a pm if youre after any particular one (Italian/Finnish etc etc)

csThor's Avatar Senior Member
    Can't help it, but I think this series is a bit like the eternal "my d*ck is longer than yours" threads that pop up now and then on this board. Knowing Osprey and the Aircraft of the Aces series I'm a bit afraid that they'll compare apples to oranges again

Originally posted by csThor:
    Can't help it, but I think this series is a bit like the eternal "my d*ck is longer than yours" threads that pop up now and then on this board....
    Just because the fly-leaves contain a dedication to Kurfy, mynameisroland, Xiolablu3, luftluuver, Ratsack and Tagert is no reason to be cynical

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by ytareh:
    Well this new series looks sweet.If its half as good as the Aircraft of the Aces series(the ones with all the colour profiles in the centre) it will become an instant classic I have over a dozen of those which have to go as I have a sports bag full of books unopened in the corner of my 'den' with no shelf space to put em on...Needless to say under severe pressure from wife....Give me a pm if youre after any particular one (Italian/Finnish etc etc)

That sound interesting , mate.

What books are you throwing out?

I may buy a few off you?

csThor's Avatar Senior Member
    It's nothing to do with my cynism (for once ). IMO this series is a way to start or repeat myths. To accurately compare two aircraft types you have to take a lot of factors into consideration - technical details, historical circumstances, military politics and doctrines, yada yada yada ... Most of which are as dry and boring as a day-long lecture on bookkeeping

I can't see this series going the scientific way - knowing other Osprey products they'll most probably do the "Apples vs Oranges" comparison because that surely has more potential for sales.

I think you're right. Expect a printed version of something like 'Dogfights' on the History Channel (bleh).

Mind you, if they just stick to drawings, maps, pilot interviews and colour profiles - it could be a winner.