Just a quick question;
    In FMB I put the Akagi with no planes on board and no AA guns shooting.
    I loaded my Corsair with three 1000 pounders.
    It was a cheat/training mission so I could teach myself how to sink this ship.

Here are discriptions of my attempts:

I dive bombed from 1000 meters and released all 3 bombs with a 3 sec delay. I hit the aft-end of the deck; right next to the control tower; the front end of the deck. None of these hits sunk the ship.
    I then dropped down to about 15 meters and approaching from the side I slammed the bombs, at about the water-line, into each side astern, middle and bow. No sinking. I then hit it right smack in the rear where the rudder and screws are.
    Still no sinking.
    I hit it approaching low from the front and the bombs went under the deck and into that area. No sinking.
    The hits did alot of damage but never sunk it. In all I hit the carrier 11 times.
    I wonder if there's a spot where they store all the ordinace and if I hit that place its kablooey, I just could'nt find it.

Monterey13's Avatar Senior Member
    You musta had a glitch. I get that sometimes, and nothing will sink it.

The bow is usually the weakest point.

3 1000 lbers on the flight deck will sink it.

I messed it up pretty good, but it would never stop or sink. I even landed on it once just to see if the black explosion marks on the deck would crash me but they didnt.

Dont you have to set delay to zero when attacking ships?

thought that was fixed in 4.08 or something like that.

Definately sounds like you had a glitch of some kind if you couldn't ever sink it.

A point to know, in FMB you can set ship skill level to rookie,, veteran, ace. This will also affect what it takes to sink the ship, though not to the degree you seem to be experiencing. Think of it as the skill level of the Damage Control parties to repair ship damage.

Like everyone else said its a glitch, happens from time to time like most software programs. I had one about a year ago when flying the Corsair on the Crimea map. Wasn't paying attention when straffing the ships and came in way too fast, hit the water, skipped off it nailed one of the destroyers and flipped in the air a couple of times only to somehow gain control. I sat there wondering just WTF just happened and started laughing. Wish I remembered to save the track before I reformated a few weeks back it was a sight to watch.

Thanks guys.
    I'll go give it another try, and maybe have a screenie of the results.

Originally posted by Antisub:
    Definately sounds like you had a glitch of some kind if you couldn't ever sink it.

A point to know, in FMB you can set ship skill level to rookie,, veteran, ace. This will also affect what it takes to sink the ship, though not to the degree you seem to be experiencing. Think of it as the skill level of the Damage Control parties to repair ship damage.
    Have you tested this ?

Damage modelling linked to skill level of gunners ??????

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    I was under the impression the damage model for larger ships involved separate sections and more than one needed to be destroyed to sink the vessel.