So, who else has a wife that's happily gotten up in the wee hours of the morning for the privilege of standing in line outside a store at 4AM to be one of the first to spend more money than we can afford on stuff no one needs?

I swear, the holiday shopping season is really turning me into more and more a Scrooge every year.

Is this an American thing? Surely most people do their shopping online nowadays?

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Never have and never will.. neither does my wife... and truth be told the bargains are not worth camping outside a store for 12-36 hours IMO..

GoToAway's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by JG52Uther:
    Is this an American thing? Surely most people do their shopping online nowadays?
    Yes. And you'd think people would, but many don't.

It's basically one of the most disgusting displays of over-the-top consumerism the world has ever seen. People camp out in parking lots and basically spend the night getting drunk until the store opens. Every year there is at least one story on the following Saturday about somebody that was trampled to death by a herd of people rushing into a store the moment it opens.

Unsurprisingly, the place that sort of thing usually happens is at a Walmart. It's one of the many reasons that I refuse to patronize that particular chain.

I have to drive somewhere today. I'm dreading it. The traffic is usually bad.

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    I've gotten some great Black Friday deals in the past few, didn't go out today because lack of funds though. Just talked to one buddy who picked up a 500G WD external drive for $39, a 4 G camera chip for $8 and some blu-ray Batman DVD's for some low price at an out of the way WalMart with get this, no line because the place was open all night.

2001 BF I got my $120-some bread machine for $45 and many years scarfed up on CD and then DVD media for most or total rebate, ie the 7% tax. Probably half or more of the archive HD's I have are from Black Fridays as well as my flash drives.

The lazier people get, the more I like being in the first 10 in line!

R_Target's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by M_Gunz:
    I've gotten some great Black Friday deals in the past few, didn't go out today because lack of funds though. Just talked to one buddy who picked up a 500G WD external drive for $39, a 4 G camera chip for $8 and some blu-ray Batman DVD's for some low price at an out of the way WalMart with get this, no line because the place was open all night.

2001 BF I got my $120-some bread machine for $45 and many years scarfed up on CD and then DVD media for most or total rebate, ie the 7% tax. Probably half or more of the archive HD's I have are from Black Fridays as well as my flash drives.

The lazier people get, the more I like being in the first 10 in line!
    Ditto, I've scored some solid deals too. I've only done the wait-in-line thing a couple times, but even just going reasonably early in the morning, you can still score.

I've always done my shopping online. Got the girlfriend and most of my family doing it now as well. I've alreay done my shopping for this year all online. No sweat.

You can get Black Friday deals from most online retailers as well so I see no need to go out in all that mess at the malls.

Christmas = Commercialized B.$.

LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    <<======={{{{ Does not shop.

K2

We just wait till cyber Monday.

Been hoping there'd be some good pc game sales on Steam but they haven't had anything interesting.