http://www.military.cz/accessories/solder_of_future/fut...warriors/weapons.jpg

Pic of some of the new weapons as opposed to a regular M4 i believe at the top.

God those other guns look ugly.

Eww. Those do look quite ugly. Any idea what the requirements for the prototype were? I'm curious about what looks like folding abilities. Something kind of like the old Ares?

Wow, only the Top one I think looks even..ugh...

I think the XM8 is what were going with for standard infantry.

Originally posted by Thunderpants1:
    The XM8 program is on hold. And by that I mean likely a permanent hold. Re-evaluations are currently ongoing. Topping the list is an alternative caliber. Right now 6.8 is leading the charge thanks to the fact that we are already using 6.8 uppers on our M4s in Iraq. Look for the rest of the Army to follow suit. FN is currently fielding some of the best candidates with their SCAR assault system.

I would suggest you listen to this fellow. If you don't know who he is, think 5th SFG at Ft. Campbell.

I didn't know you had an accout here HF.

jchung's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Hatchetforce:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thunderpants1:
    The XM8 program is on hold. And by that I mean likely a permanent hold. Re-evaluations are currently ongoing. Topping the list is an alternative caliber. Right now 6.8 is leading the charge thanks to the fact that we are already using 6.8 uppers on our M4s in Iraq. Look for the rest of the Army to follow suit. FN is currently fielding some of the best candidates with their SCAR assault system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is right.

The M8 has experienced meltdowns in field testing, and still uses the lame 5.56mm ammo.

Ironically the M468 is somewhat of a throwback to the original AR10 that started the whole M16 lineup. Whereas the M16 was essentially an AR10 "lite" the 468 goes back to what has proven to be the most effective formula, heavy, durable, and stong. The 468 is still the same design, but has a heavier bolt assembly that does not jam as readily as the current M16.

The switch to the 6.8mm also does not require new receivers to be used. The current lowers can be used, as well as the rails, and accessories (a incentive that cuts an enormous amount of cost).

The only thing holding the US military back is the cost of switching to the new ammo.

I have been watching this for a while now (as I have also been looking to get a new Barrett 6.8mm upper for my rifle), and really hope the 6.8mm uppers get the final "go". If this happens, it means that 6.8mm ammo will become readily available, as it is currently almost $1 a round from many of the manufacturers.

Originally posted by jchung:

He is right.

Of course he's right, an operator putting the stuff through it's paces would know what is going on.

jchung's Avatar Senior Member
    @WK

He should, but I really don't know him from adam, so only know what he has posted.

While I haven't met him personally, other staff at GR.net have (and gotten a tour of 5th SFG at Ft. Cambell). He's legit. If he speaks, he knows from experience. He's a cool guy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►