Old_Canuck's Avatar Senior Member
    I recently learned that the restored DC-3 (a few blocks from my home) is the same one that carried me from Vancouver to Sandspit as a young logger 40 years ago in 1967. When I told this story to the man behind the desk at the Canadian Museum of Flight and later asked him if the bird is open to the public. He said "sorry but it's VIP access only." A second later he said with a twinkle in his eye "but you qualify due to your past association." I dashed home and grabbed my camera to share some photos with you at the forum. Back at the museum the kind-hearted gentleman (Rob)tossed the gate keys on the counter and left me alone with the old Gooney bird. This is my first attempt at photobucket shares so bear with it please.

Oh, by the way, Franz Stigler is a member of this museum so I asked about his health. The museum employee shared that Mr. Stigler is not getting around so well these days but his mind is "sharp as a tack."

Here's one for you leitmotiv -- found it on the way to the DC-3: Handley Page Hampden instrument panel.

The Spirit of Skeena.

Seems like it was bigger when I was a teenager.

Lavatory and stove.

Cockpit ahead.

Port wing.

Right bucket.

Panel.

Old what's-his-name.

Avro Lancaster turret .. still at the museum .. it wouldn't fit in the trunk.

Hanglands's Avatar Banned
    An outstanding post

You dont often find pictures of Hampden combs in these forums, so thats damn good to see, thanks!

A nice story behind your photos too. A pleasure to read and view.

cool pics. thanks for sharing - good story

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    As do I, sounds like you had a great time OC.

Originally posted by joeap:
    As do I, sounds like you had a great time OC.
    Thanks for the kind sentiments Men. I did have a great time, bought a DeHavilland Beaver T-shirt and a year membership at the museum

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Huge thanks for for the Hampden panel. I have two models I intend to build and I needed a color phot of the panel.

Ex-logger and Canadian---glad to see some traditions are not dead! Great views of the DC-3. Didn't know the story of Franz Stigler. Very interesting---thanks for bringing it to my attention! Cheers, L

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice pics Old_Canuck.

Will have to check it out next I'm in Vancouver - and with a bit of spare time.

If only we all could be restored as easy...

Originally posted by jensenpark:
    Nice pics Old_Canuck.

Will have to check it out next I'm in Vancouver - and with a bit of spare time.

If only we all could be restored as easy...
    If you're planning a visit to the museum, jensenpark, send me a PM and maybe we can meet for a coffee. I live a couple of blocks from there.

leitmotiv, check your PMs. There's a link to a high res. photo of that panel for you. If you need detail photos of the Hampden let me know and I'll snap them for you.

Nice pictures, always enjoy views of oldie A/C and cockpits, especially local. Thanks Old_Canuck. ~S~

Heliopause's Avatar Senior Member
    Great material