Woof603's Avatar Senior Member
    Watch this for a truly amazing display...http://<a href="http://bobandsylvia....IGHTER.htm</a> ]

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    I've seen videos of the F-22 that are far more impressive. Plus, this old fashioned Russian jet has no stealth capabilites, unlike the Raptor. The F-22 is by far the most advanced jet flying.

Modern Russian jets have amazing aerobatic capabilities. I remember during the 1990s there were a couple of years when they would turn up at Western airshows, fly an astonishimng routine and then eject moments before crashing. It felt like it happened several times, but probably only once. Have to check.

Cheers,

P8.

Those Jets are amazing with their aerobatic maneuvers. I have seen another video where a su-27 flew a maneuver where he put the plane in a vertical position and flew 50m of the ground the entire runway. The whole time the plane was vertical in the air with the nose pointing almost straight up leaning a little forward.

It's an amazing plane but no match for the f-22 and f-35 when it comes to other areas such as speed or stealth.

HuninMunin's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by mortoma:
    I've seen videos of the F-22 that are far more impressive. Plus, this old fashioned Russian jet has no stealth capabilites, unlike the Raptor. The F-22 is by far the most advanced jet flying.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    The F-22 is by far the most advanced jet flying.
    but no match for the f-22 and f-35 when it comes to other areas such as speed or stealth.
    I remember somebody saying that the B17 will have no problem fighting it's way to Berlin and back.

I also remember some airforce saying that it had no need for guns as all combats would be fought at missile range.

How wrong they were....

This plane, on a one-on-one will take out the F22...

It's an amazing plane but no match for the f-22 and f-35 when it comes to other areas such as speed or stealth.

Stealth yes - speed, no.

The maneuvre you told of is called "Pugachev's Cobra".
    The Su-27 family (the Flankers) is the only a/c that can do so w/o the aid of thrust vector-controls.

The value of those maneuvres in combat, however, is limited.

Jaws2002's Avatar Senior Member
    Can't you argument freaks enjoy the video and live it at that?

The true is that this series planes put the best displays at airshows for a few good years.

And this is why Woof posted the link. To enjoy the show for what it is. Pure aviation p0rn for us aviation freaks.

Thx for the show.

I have the DVD of the RIAT 2006 which features the MIG 29 OVT doing a similar display including the 'supercobra' Here is said display at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeiqMn7xb_Y

Enjoy!

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's an amazing plane but no match for the f-22 and f-35 when it comes to other areas such as speed or stealth.

Stealth yes - speed, no.

The maneuvre you told of is called "Pugachev's Cobra".
    The Su-27 family (the Flankers) is the only a/c that can do so w/o the aid of thrust vector-controls.

The value of those maneuvres in combat, however, is limited. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The specific maneuver itself isn't useful but in close in combat its an example of just how far the plane can go...if the pilot is willing/physically able...in close in dogfights. The F-22 is no slouch here either fortunately as the USAF learned its lesson about how long range missiles simply do not cut it for a fighter...it has to be able to get in close and it can't be assumed that it will never happen.

But I'd say that a derivative of the aerobatic version with some of the upgraded sensors and missiles that the Russians are marketing to people like the Chinese and Indian air forces is an example of how the Russians are much further along than the average person gives them credit for. The big benefit is they do it for a fraction of the price