When I first tried out J2M3, I was really amazed. It a had great firepower, was very stable during the flight, it accelerated well. As for its huge speed, it amazed me the most. As everybody knows, J2M3 wasn't a really fast plane, it could reach only around 580-585 km/h at 6000 m. In the game I could reach 560 km/h at sea level and 627-628 at 5600-6000 m. To tell you the truth, I'm not complaining, It's fun and cool to have J2M3 fly that fast because in real life even the J2M5(the fastest serial Raiden) could reach only 615 km/h at 7300 m.
    One more thing that I've noticed is that the both short-barrel type 99M1 and long-barrel type 99M2 20 mm cannons have the same ballistics(projectile speed), which is absolutely impossible because the difference in muzzle velocity was about 200 m/sec!!! In addition, all the guns fire together, which I think is incorrect too: the pilot must have had the capability to fire type 99M1s and type 99M2s separately.
    To tell you the truth, I'm not a fan of J2M3, but I really worship J2M5. It was a truly great plane, and although externally J2M3 and J2M5 look almost the same, the J2M5 was a far better aircraft. It was far better on high altitudes than J2M3 and proved to be a very big threat to B-29s, when J2M3 was only 20-25 km/h faster than B-29 and was almost useless(in terms of speed) over 8000 m.

I don't think the J2M3 is overmodeled. The B-29 got away.

I think it isn't overmodelled. The 580 or so top speed (which you find on most books or websites) is for military power. That's not even close to the 1800 hp which is max takeoff power. The WEP with water-metanol is about 1940 hp. Try J2M3 with 100% and no WM injection and you should get about 580 at 5300 m.

Not at all under full realism. It overheats fast if you keep WEP on too long, so effectively the max speed you can keep up seems to be in line with the published info.

Ya, I think the accurate top speed for the J2M3 is around 408 mph or about 650 kph according to a book I have that has data from an old US test. So 627 kph sounds about right.

Haigotron's Avatar Senior Member
    I love the plane, I just found that it still is prone to catch fire as any Japanese Plane...

And the engine overheats very fast...

p.s. levon are u armenian?

Originally posted by Haigotron:
    p.s. levon are u armenian?
    Yes Haigotron, I'm Armenian from Armenia...
    Why?...

COOL!
    I still have to see another armenian play this great game, all my friends are into shooters! (lol)

im actually armenian from canada (vonts ess

Is Il-2 popular in armenia?

Originally posted by Haigotron:
    COOL!
    I still have to see another armenian play this great game, all my friends are into shooters! (lol)

im actually armenian from canada (vonts ess

Is Il-2 popular in armenia?
    Wow! I thought I€m the only Armenian fan of FB, AEP and PF in the universe. It€s a real pleasure to know than on the other side of the world there is an Armenian who is a fan of this game too.
    Talking about the FB, AEP and PF, no€¦, I€m afraid this game is not popular in Armenia. Otherwise, I€d have known, Armenia is a veeeeery small country.

hey levon,

i just added you to my buddies list, if u dont mind
    do u usually play on hyperlobby? which servers?
    it would be cool to fly together!

i find it frustrating to go online, and fly around my base looking for a wingman or flight leader, then go off alone and get my *** kicked by two well coordinated enemies lolol