been flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille and
    scored several kills.

Typical of Bf-109s it was shot up and re-manufactured
    several times. I believe it was in Bf-109G
    form when it was restored to Bf-109E form
    as it was originally manufactured.

Da

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Korolov: the age of the plane is irrelivant, i gave the reason for the out come of Black 6's end. It is completely pilot error, had he not tarted around with the radiator Black 6 would have been absolutely fine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The age of the plane has a lot more to do with it than you might think.

Most of all I don't understand why you guys are so quick to blame the pilot for the loss of the aircraft; these things really do happen with planes, new and old. Quite frankly, I don't see any of you guys being able to do any better. Flying a warbird is quite a bit different from pounding keys on the keyboard and using your X-45.

With regard to Black 6 - anyone actually bothered to read the Air Accidents Investigation Branch report? Not exactly conclusive that it was pilot error and he did every thing possible to preserve the plane including refusing for it to be cut open to release him

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ty_501760.hcsp

It certainly shows that the radiator handel was involved in it all. We may never know how it was move, but its safe to suggest it was either the pilot playing around, or knocked in the recue work. Either way the cooling systems i.e the rads played a big role

I hope the MRG have a stroke of luck in time and can get her going one day

wow, thanks for that link... man fought for his plane till the end. What a guy.

V!
    Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

I saw Black 6 flying at Duxford in '93, so I'm not too upset with it having been pranged, as long as no one got hurt and it was repaired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I vulched ya. Now put a cork in it and pick another base before I bust a c@p in your sorry @ss.

Oh she's been repared alright, she just don't fly no more , as i mentioned earlier she now resides at RAF Hendon

Heres a few photos of where she now lives
    http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...-2/walk365.htm
    A nasty end imho

[This message was edited by Arm_slinger on Mon January 05 2004 at 05:16 PM.]

Dubbo2 thats correct . To be honest i feel that Black 6 could fly again, i cant see why the restorers or who ever don't as the Flugwerk people for help.

I believe Black 6 has been fully restored and is now on permanent static display. The only reason it won't fly again is because its owners, the Ministry of Defence, won't allow it. The airframe is regarded as too historically significant to risk- being 80% original. Personally, I'm glad.
    However, as more restorable airframes emerge from Russia and more DB engines are refurbished we will see an increase in the number of flyable 109s. I have it on good authority that the Finnish Defence Ministry holds stocks of DB605s still boxed in swastika stamped crates- along with lots of other original 'zero- time' 109 components (my informant has seen them). Unfortunately, they are treated like the crown jewels and rarely made available to restorers- to the point where their existence is sometimes officially denied. Nevertheless, these things do exist, in Finland and elsewhere, and over the next decade we are bound to see quite a few 109s take to the air.

That sounds promising

Its shame that nothing can be done about 6 though in terms of airworthyness, it doesnt seem fair they keep these old birds grounded, can be said about all of them really. But im glad statics exist though

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    forget the bf109 get your self a new f150L now thats flying lol