I wonder if you are automatically allowed to fly ultralights with no further liscensing, if you already have a PPL??? I'd think if I can fly a Cessna I should be able to fly one of those things.

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    In the US before sport pilot you did not need any training...now you need some but really not much. When I was teaching hang gliding at LMFP the hardest students to teach were guys that had their PPL's. Flying a 60 pound weight shift glider is a world away from 3-axis flight with a motor. My best students ALWAYS were wives and girlfriends of mr private pilot - they would usually pick things up much faster, actually listen to instruction, and tended to have a better intuitive feel for the glider. I would NOT recommend hopping in anything that flies and going for it without instruction from someone who is qualified to do so.

I wasn't really talking about weight shifting hang gliders. More ultralight aircraft than anything. They work on the same principal but maybe a good bit more sensitive as far as flight control.

I fly paraglider, wich is realy cool thing to do.

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    Paragliders are cool...though you guys seem to take reserve rides pretty often I like the idea of being able to climb out in weak conditions...but am scared of cravattes, frontal collapses, partial collapses on approach..etc.etc.etc. I've launched in some pretty benign conditions hang gliding that got down right terrifying faster than I could get down - I'm glad I've had a rigid airframe to handle some of that turbulence!

This PPC Agency does good work. PM for details