I've poked around on the all knowing inter web, however I'm not quite satisfied with what I've come up with.

What I'm after is:

The order in which the letters for unit markings were painted on each side of an aircraft...

Looking at the port side of a plane, you have the unit I.D letters say "GU" would be closest to the wing.. then the Rondel, then the aircraft's I.D letter say "Q" would follow being closest to the tail..

Looking at the starboard side, unit ID would be closest to the tail, and the plane ID would be closest to the wing..

Is this correct/standard? Hopefully I've described things enough and of course properly for folks to point me in the right direction.

I'm asking because I bought a 1/32 scale P-51D in RAF markings.. Made by 21st Century toys.. when I was looking at the ID letters the sequence in which they are painted on either side of the plane looked kind of off to me- Not the same as I'd seen in photographs etc.

And if my description of the letters is also completely wrong feel free to bombard me with corrections and I'll go say a thousand Hail Mary's.

(also feel free to move if I have erred in my choice of location to post this question)

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    As far as I know that was pretty conventional, at least on Spitfires, though occasionally (in the RAAF at least) famous squadron leaders got there initials instead of a unit ID. Clive Caldwell's spit was CR-C and Robbie Gibbs was RG-V for example.

Its possible P51's being US made ended up with an odd paint scheme though I am not an expert on RAF history. I would post over at mission 4 today or simmers paintshop in the specific skinner threads and ask the guys there.

You cannot rely on commercial model kits getting it right, I have come unstuck before using scanned model kit decals for skins, sometimes they do not even use the correct fonts.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    You have to find photographs of the specific aircraft because there was no standardization. On the port side, the usual was the code letters for the squadron, roundel, then individual letter. Starboard side was anything goes. Try doing a search for information on the squadron, and then try a search for "RAF Mustangs", etc.

luftluuver's Avatar Banned
    On the port side it should be XX*X and on the starboard side it should be X*XX referenced to the front of the a/c.

Exception was if there was not enough room for the double letters aft of the roundel.

Examples can be found here,
    http://www.swissmustangs.ch/20214/20...ession*id*val*

Aha- Thank ya!

My curiosity has been satiated.

Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
    As far as I know that was pretty conventional, at least on Spitfires, though occasionally (in the RAAF at least) famous squadron leaders got there initials instead of a unit ID. Clive Caldwell's spit was CR-C and Robbie Gibbs was RG-V for example.
    I think this was a priviledge of Wing Commanders, as they didn't actually belong to any squadron. Squadron Leaders carried squadron codes.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    good point