Verber's Avatar Junior Member
    I plan to buy the Gold edition and expansion to IL2.
    Question:Is there any great tank sims similar in quality as IL2?

I plan to buy the Gold edition and expansion to IL2.
    Question:Is there any great tank sims similar in quality as IL2?

Not that I've found.
    *Sigh*

Who knows how to code, dammit? Let's just make one. UT2k4 is moddable and has vehicle and physics code already, how about we start with that?

Later,
    Ak

----------------
    MACHINE GUN : JAMMED
    FUEL TANK: LEAK
    ENGINE: ON FIRE
    PILOT: WOUNDED
    ...Yeah, it's gonna be one of those days...

Pssst...Hey, Kid, ya wanna drive a PZIII? Join the Wehrmacht today. We can getcha a Stug real easy. Just stay outa them Frenchie Chars and Lend-lease Stuarts.

Seriously, if you can handle the monthly fee, WWII online is a pretty good tank game. You gotta rank up to handle the top-line armor in each army, but it doesn't take too long.

El Turo's Avatar Senior Member
    The best tank simulation in existence at this time is WWII Online, no lie.

The sim has accurate ballistics & physics-based performance, calculates for armor thickness, energy in joules carried by the round downrange (different for each projectile/gun) and even consideres the ultra fine details like density values for different kinds of manufacturing processes. Radiators, transmissions, brakes, treads, fuel, ammo, engines.. and a bunch of other independently damagable equipment. If tanking is what you're into.. then WWII Online is your bag.

The tank/infantry battle is by far the best part of the whole thing though. If you're looking for a quality flight sim, it's a bit simplified over there compared to IL2 with some quirks in the FM.

If you want to get hooked up with some folks for some team oriented play and big armored assaults (20-40 units apiece a lot of times), feel free to drop by www.lafayettefederation.com and say "howdy" in the public forums.

/advertisement off

Regards,

~T.

There is a huge realism mod for battlefield 1942 called forgotten hope @ http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.html

The flying is kinda arcade but the tanks are spot-on and the detail and number of vehicles available is incredible (just look at the website). Maps range from 1939-1945 with all of the battles/appropriate vehicles modeled (and the graphics are a lot better than ww2online). I really don't like bf1942 because of the arcade feel, but forgotten hope makes it a completely different game. Buying bf1942 has to be one of the best buys out there just due to the number of high quality mods/conversions available free for the game (desert combat which is modern warfare, star wars mod, pirates mod with pirate ships,etc.., interstate 82 which is like mad max, etc.. etc..).

Please, check out forgotten hope...you'll absolutely love it.

forgot about another mod called battlefield 1918...if your a tank nut like me, the chance to drive an a7v is worth the download in itself.

Hi

Graphics aren't razor-edge, but you cannot beat it for realism and gameplay - for best modern tank-sim, Steelbeasts is it.

Cheers

Guess I miss driving a tank. I drove the M60A3 in Berlin and W. Germany back in the 80s. Would be nice driving one around in a tank sim

Then, if you haven't, try this one:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/

Bad bad graphics, great great modeling of all tank stuff.