Just asking because people are always asking for new planes/adjustments etc and the DEV team and their contractors always seem to have their hands full. If the game were more open people could create their own planes and release them as free mods. If you think this would interfere with multiplayer than you could just make multiplayer use only server side data.
    I really can't see any negative points for such a move. If anyone does anything to make the game the way you dont like it then just dont download their mod.

Personally, I'd love to have been able to add a Fokker DXXI for my defense of Holland but oh well, another time maybe.

I think that'll be a fairly firm 'No'. Personally I'd be happy to be able to buy the occasional add-on with Oleg-approved planes, maps etc. that have been developed by 3rd parties, as well as the full 1C releases. This works okay as we're seeing now for PF. Granted we might wait a bit longer, but it keeps things controlled and up to quality in IMO.

But Oleg already stated that BoB will be semi-open to 3rd party mods. People will be able to add their own content (Planes, objects, etc.) and will even be able to use them online on special "open planeset" servers but of course it will also be able to lock anything "non-official" for sake of compatibility and realism.

Like Vacillator I'm sceptical about plane mods because although the 3D models are of high quality I'm afraid the FM and DM will either be very basic and/or totally made up because people base them on anecdotes and their personal idea of what the plane should be like...

That's interesting Karaya, I hadn't read that from Oleg.

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    turbo::
    Will BOB be more open source?
    These people still confuse "open sim" with open source software. My theory is they copy (or pirate!) the "open source" slogan made popular by media interest in the Linux operating system.

jg52::
    ...because people base them on anecdotes and their personal idea of what the plane should be like...
    Sounds like we have a Fear of Online players. Most flight sim aircraft modders including currently serving or retired military members base their work on available published data like Oleg, although Oleg may have additional private data available through purchase.

The few who want to "cheat" with FMs and DMs are...Online players.

Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
    jg52:
    Sounds like we have a Fear of Online players. Most flight sim aircraft modders including currently serving or retired military members base their work on available published data like Oleg, although Oleg may have additional private data available through purchase.

The few who want to "cheat" with FMs and DMs are...Online players.
    I dont know what you mean by fear of online players

If a 3rd party modeller bases his FM on official flight test data only then great!

But you know there ARE modellers out there who would swear that this or that planes is wrong because in combat report XY Pilot A clearly out performed the enemy in this or that category and assumes his plane is undermodelled because he cannot duplicate the same thing in IL2. That's what I meant

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    JG52::
    If a 3rd party modeller bases his FM on official flight test data only then great!

That's all we needed to hear. Thank You!

Indeed, most of the FB/PF players fighting each other on this webboard is fighting over Oleg's "Secret" sources of official data, and the multiple sources of alternative official data -- official unofficial data perhaps. Or unofficial official data. Some of Oleg's official data may be privately purchased from collectors, and if so, may have to remain Secret.

Pilot accounts are useful in modelling post-stall behavior. The Online community should be interested in this with all their webboard threads claiming they want "real life" Stalls and Spins.

But this same Online community demanded that Oleg ignore official flight test data by eliminating elevator trim from his flight models, to prevent -- naturally -- Online players cheating Online using elevator slider trim. Surprisingly, Oleg Maddox listened to the Online community, and disabled his own flight models for all players. It would have been "okay" and better business sense if Oleg had confined the crippled FMs to the small number of Online players only who were hurting from Online elevator slider trim cheating, but instead, all customers received the crippled but "cheat free" flight models.

If it is I will be modelling planes, and I will have a site set up for a Community. @ www.VV-Ops.com

I use Maya 6.5 Unlimited. It will be simple to model low poly planes for this sim. And theres already an abundance of skinners eh??

So if ur a skinner we should hook up.

Well not sure the meaning folks are attaching to these terms. What I do hope is that the next series will be more user-friendly to third-party enhancements like campaign generators, dogfight scripting, and so many other programs enjoyed by the IL-2 community.

More tools for such work to enhance the core game would be most welcomed, especially if the Developer is not able/willing to release a more robust gaming experience.

Personally I am not as concerned about third-party planes, but would love to see third-party maps and stationary objects, but not including AAA and alike which could be misrepresented or unbalanced with the rest of the game.

But again if there were planes I would enjoy them if they are developed properly. Would like to see a certification process by Maddox Games, but I think this will not happen. I mean if someone wanted to share with the community plane X for free, not fair to expect Maddox Games to spend their time certifying it without being compensated. This would change free community-based content to paid addons. Which it looks like is the direction of gaming in general anyway.

Regards,
    TS!

Who cares whether someone downloads a mod with a plane that isnt real or is based on their ideas on what it should be like? If you dont like it then dont download it. Certainly no one should be forcing you. In MP only official planes could be allowed. That way it doesnt hurt anybody's game experience and people who do want to add their own content to their own offline games could.

I don't understand why so many people are afraid of 3rd party content. It will be just that, third party, if you dont want that plane/mission or whatever then dont download/use it. Simple as that. This would save us a lot of time in getting new planes out because they wouldnt have to be approved by Oleg. If I downloaded a plane model that I wasnt happy with for some reason, I'd just delete it, end of story. This really can be only beneficial. I dont see how it could be otherwise.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►