Lagging mouse

Originally Posted by shthomar Go to original post
    "
    I'm having a very annoying problem. Myst 4 used to work great on the previous Mac version I had - OS 10.6 - but now the mouse is sluggish and lagging, making it practically impossible to play.
    Has anyone encountered this problem?
    "
    YES I have, I only just installed Myst IV for the first time on OS 10.6.8 and the installer works, and I can actually launch the game (which I couldn't with previous installers) **thank you Gannet7** so I am almost superhappy, but... it is impossible to move the mouse like this
    :-(

the mouse behaviour is weird: it's actually not quite sluggish, it's lagging. Meaning: the cursors only want to sit in the edges of the screen, it simply doesn't want to move away from the corners or edges, so when I try to move it superfast, it just won't stay in position...
    Help!
    I want to be able to play this game again that I bought with honest money in the past >:-[

Hi jolarti

Sorry about the mouse problems. For me I've found lately that the game takes far to long to load the next node every time you move so that it's far too annoying to play. It wasn't like this before though so I guess OS X updates change things. I have tried to fix problems like this but unfortunately have had no success. So apologies, but this is petty much unsupported now :(

But my OS (on an old iMac) is not new, it's 10.6, so I was hoping that someone knows of a workaround here.
    So very sad
    :'-(
    The good news is that today I installed Myst V, and that one really works perfectly in the same OS.

PS: in the Revelation package Contents/Resources/Preferences I found a config file with this line
    "AbsoluteMouseSensitivity" = "1"
    Perhaps when I change this into something else, the stuck mouse may change?
    If only I knew what it should change into...

Yes, that's certainly something you could try. The config file inside the package is just the template, the one you want to change is located in the same place as your saved games. Try changing it something like -1 and see what happens. You may have to play around with it a bit. The setting does indeed affect the mouse but whether or not it can fix your problem I don't know.

Changing these numbers did nothing noticeable to the 'oversensitive' effect, instead the _simplest_ solution that I hadn't tried yet worked: changing the mouse!
    I work with a pentablet by default, which means i have to unplug the whole thing and restart, and plugin my other mouse en replug when I need to get back to work, which is annoying but I am willing to do this for Myst.
    Long story short: everything now works beautifully!
    I'm ecstatic

Originally Posted by Gannet7 Go to original post
    Ah, I think I know what's going on - both of them appear to be outdated. You're on OS 10.10?

Myst III: It looks like you're running the pre-ResidualVM version. Click the Myst III link in my signature to download the ResidualVM version. If you run this it should find your existing install and update it.

Myst IV: When I first I made this I didn't code it correctly to account for a system version number higher than 9. I later fixed this in the installer but you may need to apply the fix yourself. Enter this in Terminal:
    open -t <drag and drop Myst IV app here>/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    This should open the script file in TextEdit. Line 4 should read:
    if [[ $(sw_vers -productVersion | cut -d . -f 2) < 6 ]]
    Change the "<" symbol at the end to "-lt". Save, and then try run the game.

Hello Gannet7! I've used your installer for Myst IV on Mac OS mavericks without any issues. Have always been able to play the game fine. Once I upgraded to Yosemite neither Exile or Myst IV would run, so I reinstalled them and now Exile runs just fine but Myst IV does not. When I launch the game it loads, the screen goes black as if it's about to run the game and then it just goes right back to the desktop. Any ideas what the issue may be?

Hi Billy
    Try running this command in Terminal:
    <drag and drop Myst IV app here>/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    Let me know the output.

Hi Billy
    Try running this command in Terminal:
    <drag and drop Myst IV app here>/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    Let me know the output.
    ran the command in terminal and this was the output.

-bash: drag: No such file or directory

I do have Myst IV installed in applications. It's about 7.5gb. Appreciate the help, Gannet.

Sorry, try this instead:
    /Applications/Myst\ IV\ Revelation.app/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    The first part, before 'Contents', needs to be the path to your Myst IV application. This is correct for the default installation location but if you've installed it somewhere else you may need to change it accordingly.

Sorry, try this instead:
    /Applications/Myst\ IV\ Revelation.app/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    The first part, before 'Contents', needs to be the path to your Myst IV application. This is correct for the default installation location but if you've installed it somewhere else you may need to change it accordingly.

Hey Gannet. I input the command and the game began to run but still just went back to the desktop. Terminal spit out a lot of text before the game attempted to load. Lemme know if you need to see what it said and I'll post it. But basically it did the same thing. Went to a black screen as if the game was going to load and then just went back to the desktop.