Gannet7, I have really enjoyed playing Exile with your installer, but am having trouble with Revelation. Like RoRey11, I'm running Lion 10.7.5. When I put the first disc in as prompted by the installer it gets spat out every time. Any ideas?

P.S. Re Exile, I couldn't get the Edanna fix to work, but painstakingly managed to get through by using videos from YouTube!

The installer will only spit out a disc if it installed successfully so this is likely a problem with your disc. I suspect you'll find that if you put the disc in without running the installer it will still get spat out by the computer. Your best bet would be to try cleaning it.

Hi Gannet7, thanks for the reply. My iMac won't take disc 1 but my wife's MacBook does, so have installed on there. Thanks again for all the Myst support, really enjoying playing the games again thanks to you.

Myst 4 on MAC OS 10.9.2

Hey guys,

I'm having a very annoying problem. Myst 4 used to work great on the previous Mac version I had - OS 10.6 - but now the mouse is sluggish and lagging, making it practically impossible to play.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone have an idea? :-\

Thanks!

Cheers
    Tomer

Your installer has worked perfectly for me, up until now, so thank you for that!

I did run into one problem (which is also an issue with Exile), that I hope you can help me fix.

So, I've had Myst IV installed on my Macbook Pro; it ran fine, looked beautiful, and I didn't run into any lag issues with it. However, I recently obtained an external drive and migrated all of my games over to it. They've mostly worked, except Mysts 3 and 4 won't open.

Exile gives the following error message:

Revelation just won't open. The icon won't appear in the dock, the computer will give no indication that I tried to open it. HOWEVER, I went into the library and moved the application support folder, and when I tried to open Revelation a new one WAS created, so I know that at least part of the program is running.

I have tried moving both Exile and Revelation back to their original locations, but the problem persists. I can reinstall Exile without an issue; however, I no longer have the Revelation install disks, and I want to know if there's any way to recover the game. I do still have the fully installed version that worked without issue up until I moved it onto the external drive, so if I can figure out what it's missing I can hopefully get it working again.

Thank you!

Hi LdSunday

I keep my copy of Myst IV on a disk image on an external drive and it runs okay for me. Not sure what the problem you're encountering is, so try this command in Terminal:
    <drag and drop Myst IV app here>/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    This will attempt to run it as normal but may print helpful error messages or other info.

I can't see the error message you mention in Exile, could you try that one again?

Originally Posted by Gannet7 Go to original post
    Hi LdSunday

I keep my copy of Myst IV on a disk image on an external drive and it runs okay for me. Not sure what the problem you're encountering is, so try this command in Terminal:
    <drag and drop Myst IV app here>/Contents/MacOS/Myst\ IV\ Revelation
    This will attempt to run it as normal but may print helpful error messages or other info.

I can't see the error message you mention in Exile, could you try that one again?
    Whoops! Forgot to paste it:

The Exile one says:
    sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.availcpu'
    sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.availcpu' (1)

When I type the command into the terminal, I get the response: "line 7: /Volumes/Chrome/Games/Myst IV Revelation.app/Contents/MacOS/myst4: Bad CPU type in executable"

I get the same response for both the version on my drive and the one I restored to its original location.

Ah, I think I know what's going on - both of them appear to be outdated. You're on OS 10.10?

Myst III: It looks like you're running the pre-ResidualVM version. Click the Myst III link in my signature to download the ResidualVM version. If you run this it should find your existing install and update it.

Myst IV: When I first I made this I didn't code it correctly to account for a system version number higher than 9. I later fixed this in the installer but you may need to apply the fix yourself.

Thank you! That got Revelation to work. I guess it's just coincidence I noticed at the same time I moved the installs.

Exile's still not working, but it's changed. I don't get an error message anymore; it starts to open, the screen goes black as if the games about to start, and then it crashes without any message. I might just reinstall that one since I have the disk for 3.

Hm. Yeah, might as well reinstall. Let me know if you still have problems after that.