@snoogansuk:
    Weird, so the size of the video also gets smaller when you lower the resolution? I'm afraid I'm at a loss. It may indeed be something to do with the GMA. Sorry :/

@mbennett:
    Hm, the normal version (with chmod) should work fine on 10.5. Did you apply the 1.0.3 update? It might help. You can try this setup and updater if you are having problems running the normal ones (these do exactly the same thing as the official setup/updater but should be more reliable).

If none of that helps then it's down to the cider version. You don't need any disc inserted to play this one. First check that the installed app is about 7.5GB, then try running the game from Terminal: Open Terminal and paste in this command:
    /Applications/Myst\ IV\ Revelation/Contents/MacOS/cider
    You should get a bunch of messages that look the same as what Reelah posted at the bottom of the first page of this thread. If you have anything different to that, please post it all here. Otherwise, there's probably not a lot I can do to help, sorry.

[edit] For Exile, try the installer in this topic.

Hi Gannet, thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. I tried reinstalling from disk in Applications, using the Setup and Updater links you provided. It just went to a black screen for a second, and then crashed as before. Then I tried the read/write and chmod a+x, though I thought you had mentioned once in another post it wasnt necessary with your customized Setup- anyway it didnt change the crash behavior.

So I deleted the ciderized version because the app size was ~6.6 GB. I had noticed that this installation finished when the progress bar was a good distance away from the end of the meter. I'll try just repeating the installation- so what do I do if I continue to end up with the incorrect app size?

Thanks so much for your help, its so great that support for this game continues!

@mbennett:
    Hm, the normal version (with chmod) should work fine on 10.5. Did you apply the 1.0.3 update? It might help. You can try this setup and updater if you are having problems running the normal ones (these do exactly the same thing as the official setup/updater but should be more reliable).

If none of that helps then it's down to the cider version. You don't need any disc inserted to play this one. First check that the installed app is about 7.5GB, then try running the game from Terminal: Open Terminal and paste in this command:
    /Applications/Myst\ IV\ Revelation/Contents/MacOS/cider
    You should get a bunch of messages that look the same as what Reelah posted at the bottom of the first page of this thread. If you have anything different to that, please post it all here. Otherwise, there's probably not a lot I can do to help, sorry.

[edit] For Exile, try the installer in this topic.[/QUOTE]

If you still have an incorrect size then something probably went wrong while copying files. The installer doesn't really check if it completed properly - I might have to fix that. What was the size of the app installed by the Setup program (you're right, the chmod isn't necessary with the customised Setup)?

Anyway, first thing to check is your install discs. With disc 1 inserted, open Terminal and paste in this command:
    ls -lR /Volumes/Myst4_1/common/data
    Repeat for disc 2:
    ls -lR /Volumes/Myst4_2/common/data
    Then see what was actually installed:
    ls -lR '/Applications/Myst IV Revelation.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Myst IV Revelation/data'
    And post all results here.

Which language are you installing?

Hi,

First, I installed the Cider fix to play Revelation on Mac and it works like a charm! Thanks so much!

However, I have the same prob as OldTim67 posted about in Dec 2010, that Spire crashes after the fourth landing of stairs. And like him I gave up after a few tries. I know you didn't have a fix at that time - any new advances?

Thanks so much!!

Hi sabita,

No new advances that I'm aware of, however I have just uploaded a new build and it's possible the problem is fixed here (though I would guess not).

If the new version doesn't fix anything, the best you can do is try this save file which is saved at the bottom of the staircase. Note the game will still crash whenever you return to that node in the middle of the staircase but you should be able to use the zip feature to avoid that.

Important: The location of saved games and other preference files has been moved in the new version. It is now stored in the Application Support folder rather than the Preferences folder.

Hi! Thanks so much for getting back. Unfortuately, I can't open the updated installer from your hyperlink a few comments up (error 404) nor can I open the saved file. But you know, it's all good! I have had a blast trying to make my way thru the other three worlds and it's time to let go! I've gone as far as I can in Serenia without the answer to the colored marbles puzzle from Spire. If my game is personalized and I can't cheat to see the end then I can just read about the end!

One more comment: I haven't read anyone having this problem but the twisted snake in the end of Haven - it simply will not unravel! I spent an entire day stroking that sob and nothing. I got two other people to try and they got nothing. Since I went to Serenia before Haven I returned to Serenia with the knowledge of how to dislodge the critter and in 15 minutes of trying he unraveled five times. So is it possible there's a glitch? But it doesn't really matter anymore for me personally!

You are awesome and maybe after a sufficient rest period I'll give Myst V a shot and be sure to have more questions!

No worries, glad you're enjoying it.

The installer from a few comments up is for the original Mac version (which doesn't work on 10.6) - I must have removed it since I posted that. The updated cider installer is still at the same location as the previous one (see the first post in this topic).

To use the save file, put it in this folder:
    Home > Library > Application Support > Myst IV Revelation > Saved Games

As for quetzy, you're saying you can unravel him in Serenia but not in Haven? That is strange, I guess it's possible there's a glitch in there somewhere.

Hi, Yeah, I could unravel quetzy in Serenia but not in Haven.
    Called in a pro to try to load up the saved game but
    to no avail! So my Revelation days are definitely over!
    It was fun!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gannet7:

To use the save file, put it in this folder:
    Home > Library > Application Support > Myst IV Revelation > Saved Games

Hi Gannet7 -

It was awesome to find this Myst4 download for Snow Leopard, thank you!

I've had two of the glitches previously mentioned:
    - when a video appears (moving into Atrus's and Catherine's bedroom, for instance) the picture squashes into the upper left corner. Doesn't bother me much, but a glitch nonetheless.
    - the Spire crash!!

I've checked back to this post after originally downloading the installer regarding the Spire crash and the saved game file worked! Just purely wanted to show my appreciation for the game and the patches. Myst lives on!

Revian

Thanks Revian, since multiple people have reported those issues I've added them to the first post now. Regarding the video, do you also have GMA graphics?