[Mac] Myst IV:Revelation Not Working with Windows 10

Hello, all!

My computer was upgraded to Windows 10 last month. I've been having lots of fun struggling to get all my Myst games working on it. I've finally been stumped by Revelation.

I used the DVDs for a full install, and everything went beautifully. Whenever I try to run the actual game however, either through the DVD menu or directly from the program files, the screen would go black for a second, than back to Windows as if nothing had ever happened. Revelation isn't running invisibly in the task manager either.

I tried different compatibility settings already. I only succeeded in extending the black screen by another second or so.

I know this is probably a new set of problems on a new Windows version, but is there any advice anyone can give me? I've read a bit about Virtual Boxes and writing a dsc file to force it to run in a windowed mode, but I'm not very computer savvy and may end up destroying everything if I don't know what I'm doing. Please help!

Thank you!

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    -- a. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
    ----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:.
    ----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    -- b. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.
    ----- 1. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 2. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
    ----- 3. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation.
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive.
    -- d. If the Revelation disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- e. Start the game using the Revelation icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Revelation disc.

Suggestions:

1. Try starting Revelation with DVD #2 in the drive, instead of DVD #1.

2. Run Revelation specifically as an Administrator.
    -- a. Go to Run as Administrator in Windows 10.
    -- b. Scroll down to CONTENTS:.
    -- c. Choose an option.
    -- d. Start Revelation.

3. Try all of the various manual Compatibility Mode settings. Combinations of settings for the same attempt will probably be necessary. Also run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    -- a. Go to How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10.
    -- c. Choose Option One.
    -- d. Try the various settings.
    ----- 1. See the Settings -- Description table for setting options.

Thank you! I've seen your other posts. I can't imagine how many Myst fans you've helped.

In general,
    -- a. Install Revelation to your C: drive. DONE
    ----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:. INSTALLED TO C
    ----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA. CHECK
    ----- 1. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background. I DISABLED EVERYTHING. AND I MEAN EVERYTHING.
    ----- 2. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it! GOT IT
    ----- 3. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation. DO YOU MEAN WHILE I'M RUNNING REVELATION, OR SHOULD I RESTART THE COMPUTER AND TRY IT ALL BY ITSELF?
    -- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive. TRIED THAT
    -- d. If the Revelation disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop. DID THAT
    -- e. Start the game using the Revelation icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Revelation disc. TRIED THAT

Suggestions:

1. Try starting Revelation with DVD #2 in the drive, instead of DVD #1. YES

2. Run Revelation specifically as an Administrator. ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I DID
    -- a. Go to Run as Administrator in Windows 10.
    -- c. Choose an option.
    -- d. Start Revelation.

As far as compatibility goes, I've been playing around with everything form 95 to XP Package 3. The only thing that got it to flash black was to set it for 640x480 resolution. Otherwise, none of the compatibilities caused anything to happen. Also, the troubleshooter is notoriously unhelpful because there's no section for a black screen flash, which may be just the computer preparing to shrink its own resolution.

3. Try all of the various manual Compatibility Mode settings. Combinations of settings for the same attempt will probably be necessary. Also run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    -- a. Go to How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10.
    -- c. Choose Option One.
    -- d. Try the various settings.
    ----- 1. See the Settings -- Description table for setting options.

This doesn't look good. Has anyone actually gotten Myst IV to work on Windows 10 yet?

Q. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation. DO YOU MEAN WHILE I'M RUNNING REVELATION, OR SHOULD I RESTART THE COMPUTER AND TRY IT ALL BY ITSELF?

A. Do a fresh boot, and then immediately start Revelation, i.e., before running any other programs. Do not run any other programs while running Revelation.

Some folks have reported success with Revelation after installing the patches. Download the Revelation patches here. I recommend applying the 1.02 patch and then the 1.03 patch. The 1.0 to 1.02 patch is 41.1 MB, while the 1.0 to 1.03 patch is only 15.4 MB, which may mean there's "good stuff" included in 1.02 that isn't included in 1.03.
    -- a. Reboot after applying each patch.
     1 people found this helpful

You're amazing. The first patch fixed it completely, and then I put the other patch in for good measure. The game works perfectly. I'm already telling Atrus to shut up as he guides me relentlessly through the signal puzzle. Thank you so much! You're the best!

You're welcome. Enjoy Revelation!

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem, except none of these solutions works. I've installed Myst IV multiple times from the original game disks and I've applied the patches and such, but the best I've been able to get it to do is show a black screen with the arrow cursor replaced with the blue loading circle cursor. However, it proceeds no further than this state, and makes it impossible to switch out to the desktop or another app or even move the cursor out of a narrowed box that I assume is the game trying to produce a non-widescreen mode.

I used to play the game without incident back on Windows 7 with a widescreen (I've tried changing the current resolution to what I used back then; l didn't work), but it's not working at all on Windows 10. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Forums!

Instead of clicking on the Desktop Revelation start icon, try going to the Program Files Revelation directory and clicking on the Myst4.exe file to start the game.

Also, take a look at the following:

-- Is Windows 10 Backwards Compatible With Your Existing Software?

-- How to Make Old Programs Work on Windows 10

-- Run as Administrator in Windows 10

-- Windows 10 Compatibility Mode

-- How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10

-- How to play SafeDisc and Securom DRM games in Windows 10 (Revelation uses SafeDisc 3 DRM)

Oh my god Heimdall_G thank you so much, the patch 1.02 worked perfectly !
    It's been years since i haven't been able to play to this wonderfull game and thanks to you i finally can meet Atrus and Yeesha again <3

You're welcome. And welcome to the Forums.

Enjoy Revelation!