just refering to an earlier post [BOB historical question]with regards the exploits of Franz von Werra who was the subject of the 1957 film"The one that got away" starring german actor Hardy Kruger,which is not a bad film seeing that it's now 50years old,von Werra was shot down on the morning of 5th sept 1940,he force landed in a field of Love's farm on Winchet hill ,Kent the man responsible for shooting down Von Werra was flight lieutenant Webster RAF, who sadly was to die in battle later that afternoon. After verious POW camps in Britain and Canada, Von Werra escaped and made his way back to Germany,where he was given a hero's welcome,but also sadly he did not survive the war,On the 25 oct 1941 he crashed into the sea,north of Vlissingen Holland, his body or the aircraft were never found.I visited Duxford air museum in the UK last year and there is a fine exibit of a Me 109 which looks as if it has just force landed bent prop,skid marks across the grass and guarded by what looks like a member of the Home Guard. Now i'm not sure but I seem to remember that this was depicting Von Werra's crashed Me109 and may have been the actual aircraft itself,perhaps some of you British boys could check this out. Cheers J.Morgan.Lloyd

The date this BF-109E-3 "White 4" crashed was very close. I recall reading that it crashed in September of 1940. I thought this was von Werra's plane, but it wasn't. This 109 was shot down on September 30, 1940 so it was flown by someone else. Scanned this from my Fly Past magazine.

Originally posted by cawimmer430:
    The date this BF-109E-3 "White 4" crashed was very close. I recall reading that it crashed in September of 1940. I thought this was von Werra's plane, but it wasn't. This 109 was shot down on September 30, 1940 so it was flown by someone else. Scanned this from my Fly Past magazine.

thats the story of "white 4" (of II./JG26)
    http://les_butler.drivehq.com/jg26/white4_peter.htm