Hi, I've been trying to run the original Myst on my Windows Vista machine for a while.

Myst installs fine on my machine, and I have no issues getting it to start up. However, once the game begins to play, the cd-drive seems to act up, spinning at an unusually high rate. The gameplay itself seems fine, except that it will periodically pause while the disk is spinning. I have tried various methods for getting the game to work without a disk, but with no luck.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix my issue, help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    Is this the "original" original Myst, or Myst Masterpiece?

The "original" original Myst.

wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    Wow... I think that was written for Windows 95. The real expert on PCs here is Heimdall G. You need to wait for him to weigh in. He has all the good links & procedures... be patient. [My G5 Mac runs Myst Masterpiece with no problems, but my original Myst will not play unless the version of QuickTime on my computer is "retrograded" from the present 6.0.3 back to 3.0 (or whatever the version of QT is on the disc).] Have you tried running the game in Windows compatibility mode?

Welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like you may have a disc-read problem with one or more of your Myst CD's. Let's assume you haven't had problems with any other CD's or DVD's.

Disc read problems can be due to:
    -- Discs that need cleaning.
    -- Disc drive laser lenses that need cleaning.
    -- A disc that has scratches. If your CD's have many and/or deep scratches, remove the scratches (especially those deep enough to catch a fingernail) using one of the repair kits available from a local computer store or from an Internet supplier.

The Myst CD's have been stored for many years. Especially if they've been stored in plastic jewel cases, this can lead to haze deposition on the discs. Which can result in read problems.

1. In addition to long-term storage, your Myst CD's could have developed a haze coating if you:
    -- Live in a dusty area.
    -- Have a smoker in the house or where the discs are stored.
    -- Do not have a hood over your kitchen stove or cooktop that vents outside the house.
    -- Use burning-candle or plugin (oil-dispersing) room deodorizers anywhere in the house.
    -- Have stored the CD's in temperatures above about 90 degrees F.

This haze can be invisible to the naked eye, but it's not invisible to your disc drive and could be what's interfering with disc reads. (This is especially true if a drive is more than about 3 years old, since read lasers tend to weaken with time. That by itself can lead to disc read problems - even without a haze. The only fix for a weak read laser is a new drive, BTW.)

The first thing to do is try to get rid of any haze on the CD's. Clean the shiny sides of *all* the discs using a soft, lint-free cloth moistened with either:
    -- Water-clear rubbing alcohol - additive-free, no witch hazel or whatever, no green or blue color.
    -- A warm mild dishwashing (*NOT* dishwasher) detergent solution.

Clean with either alcohol or detergent solution using a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc.

Instead of allowing the disc to air-dry, manually dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth. Dry with a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc.

There've been posts saying that disc cleaning sometimes requires multiple applications of alcohol and/or dishwashing detergent solution, along with a good bit of "elbow grease" or "scrubbing" while applying the solution. You might also try that sort of thing, being careful to use clean, soft cloths for both application of cleaning solution and drying the disc between solution applications. (Don't let the disc air-dry!)

2. Disc read problems can also be due to a disc drive's laser lenses developing a film/haze coating over time (with or without the contribution of weakening read lasers). Again, the haze can be from your living in a dusty area, having a smoker in the house or where you use the PC, etc.

The fix is using a laser lens cleaning disc. This is essentially a disc with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones (especially for smokers, non-hooders, and candle burners/oilers) come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. The first time you use the disc, run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession.

I use the 3M Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner, but several brands are available. Some are for both CD and DVD drives, some for CD only or DVD only. There are various suppliers, both online and local computer stores. From Amazon, for example:
    -- Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner for CD and DVD Players/CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives
    -- Memorex CD/DVD-Player Laser-Lens Cleaner
    -- Memorex Laser Lens Cleaner For DVD Only
    -- RCA Discwasher 6-Brush Dry CD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner
    -- GE Laser Lens Cleaner Wet/Dry System

Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi