What do you guys think is the best BF109 plane for a beginner?

Any idea of any other rookie planes while your at it?

The Bf-109G2 without a doubt. Excellent handling with best thrust to weight ratio. Other beginner planes would be; La-5fn, La-7, Spitfire VIII, P-40, P-63 Kingcobra, MC205, and various others.

I'd suggest the F2. It's not very powerful and the guns suck, but get good in that and you'll be awesome in the G2.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I would agree...the Bf109G-2 is the best of the beginner aircraft in the 109 lineup. The Spitfire (any version), La-5 and La-7, or the A6M Zero (any version really) are other good beginner planes. I would disagree with the P-63 being a good beginner plane...its much harder to fly. MC.205 is somewhat unresponsive so it may not be the best one to try...mmmm...not too many others.

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    I'd argue the best beginner plane to be flying is any one of the tri-wheel single engines, the P-63, the P-39. Those planes are finicky, their brakes aren't as good as some other planes, BUT, the radiator and engine management is easier, and it will teach you how to ride the stalls, use guns accurately, (especially that 37mm) and learn wing tactics. Furthermore, these planes are easier to land and easier to keep from prop striking. They also land hot, about 190-210 kph, I find, is the best speed to start flaring. Try it. Then move to your 109's.

109's try to kill you on take off and landing. You should master staying straight on the runway first before you try it. Also, once you learn to ride the stall in a 39, you'll find it a lot more enjoyable to ride the stall in a 109.

p-11.cAce's Avatar Senior Member
    What's wrong with the Emil? I think for a newbie plane it is relativly easy to handle and fun to fly.

Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
    I would agree...the Bf109G-2 is the best of the beginner aircraft in the 109 lineup. The Spitfire (any version), La-5 and La-7, or the A6M Zero (any version really) are other good beginner planes. I would disagree with the P-63 being a good beginner plane...its much harder to fly. MC.205 is somewhat unresponsive so it may not be the best one to try...mmmm...not too many others.
    My choices are for good handling, manuverability and power. The MC.205 and the Kingcobra may not be the best turners, they are forgiving enough to throw around without stalling out. I would avoid using the late war spitfires though, they have a wicked stall if you're not easy on the stick.

F2 for sure.

If you can learn to shoot down planes in the F2 with just 2x 7.92 mm and 1 x 15mm, then you will do well in any other 109.

The handling is VERY good, if not quite as exceptional as the G2s and it and the F4 probably have the largest margin of performance superiority over planes from a similar period (Spitfire Vb/c, Yak 1, LaGG 3, P-40B/C).

While the 109G2 is better, so is its contemporary opposition (Spitfire IX, La-5, Yak-9, P-39D2)

Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
    What's wrong with the Emil? I think for a newbie plane it is relativly easy to handle and fun to fly.
    I think the Emil is a great choice, except for landings. I don't know about others, but I have a tough time landing it w/o bending a prop and/or flipping onto my back.

Alright guys thanks alot.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►