Hughesnet.... You have my condolences...

Back to controllers...

Am I better off going all one brand or is mixing them okay. For example: I'm leaning toward Saitek for everything since the total cost of buying a yoke, joystick, HOTAS, quadrant and pedals is so high. Now, I could pick and choose between CH and Saitek and get the best reviewed combination, paying a little more than all Saitek. But, would I be better off having all the same maker of gear and, especially, compatible drivers, keeping the price down and just stay with Saitek.

Yes, convoluted questions. Does it make sense enough?

Originally posted by Paul_Bruening:
    Back to controllers...

Am I better off going all one brand or is mixing them okay. For example: I'm leaning toward Saitek for everything since the total cost of buying a yoke, joystick, HOTAS, quadrant and pedals is so high. Now, I could pick and choose between CH and Saitek and get the best reviewed combination, paying a little more than all Saitek. But, would I be better off having all the same maker of gear and, especially, compatible drivers, keeping the price down and just stay with Saitek.

Yes, convoluted questions. Does it make sense enough?
    for running the game seem to work just as well with a mix of controllers as it does with all the controllers being one maker.
    but I like to keep all the controllers with one brand it makes it easier to learn one set of software. but it really does not matter.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Mix and match of controller brands works fine, however with some brands you can get an advantage by keeping all the same. An example is CH Products gear, where the drivers allow the full set of controllers to act as a single virtual controller from the games point of view. This means you only need one profile for the combined controller instead of a seperate profile for each component. With some games, this also allows you to use more controllers total. For example, IL2 recognises up to four controllers. With a CH stick, throttle and rudder pedals pretending to be a single controller, you could potentially add a further three controllers before IL2 stopped recognising additional controllers. With the Saitek X-52 / Pro Flight Pedals combination you could only add another two controllers (X-52 stick/throttle is effectively only one device).

The final decision is yours of course, but this is information to consider.

Hey fellas,

I really appreciate the great answers. My editor guy wants to take one of the computers and make it a dedicated server. He has a unit to replace mine for the edit facility. That would make one, 4 core machine as a dedicated server and eight dual cores for gaming. Is IL-2 1946 suited well to this kind of configuration? His theory is that eight guys can play as a team against AI over our LAN. We're kind of stuck with this approach on Battlefield 2 since my ping is so rotten. What do you think about a dedicated server approach with IL-2?

Oh, and by the way, I'm really enjoying this copy I downloaded. I'm still learning how to fly. I still can't take off in a P51 to save my life.

hey...tips for the p51:
    -try not to turn too hard, you'll snap roll and stall
    -get above 250-265mph before you start to pull up ( if you have space to do that in)
    -use E tactics