Some of you are probably already aware of Masaru Tochibayashi's work. He created the "1942" and "1945" animations that many of you have marvelled at. He has just released an animation test of an F1M Pete that is the most convincing aircraft animation I have ever seen. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the clip.

http://www.angel.ne.jp/~tochy/airplane/dws/seabird1.mpg

Regards, Goshikisen.

p.s. notice the cruiser at the tail end of the animation... a Takao class cruiser, a type sorely missed in PF.

still downloading, but thanks for the heads up!

edit: JAW DROPPING i could swear it was real!!

tsisqua's Avatar Senior Member
    Outstanding!

TM just keeps getting better at this. I fear that this type of graphic will not be available in a game for a very long time, though

Simply Amazing!
    Tsisqua

Good lord. What am I looking at? I've never heard of Masaru - can anybody elaborate on what he's doing?

HOLY MENUDO !

You can find all of his videos here:
    http://www.angel.ne.jp/~tochy/

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
    Good lord. What am I looking at? I've never heard of Masaru - can anybody elaborate on what he's doing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's doing highly detailed 3D CGI animations. This sort of detail requires huge amounts of processing and at this point in time cannot come even close to realtime. If he's using PC's for animation it's probably generating at about 20 seconds per frame (guesstimated) for the more intensive scenes.

Once all the individual frames are complete and saved, they're played back at realtime rates into a video capture program to make the film. Hollywood CGI is done in a similar way.

Superb animation by the way, adverse yaw correctly modelled and all.

this guy has run this web-site for a couple of years now

is these short flicks what he does in his spare time , or does he have some kind of large production in the works ?

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member

I already have some of his work on my HD... Id LOVE to see a sim with these graphics.

LeadSpitter_'s Avatar Banned
    that guy tochy makes some amazing animations. Hes the one who made the wildcat one and p51 ki84 and a few others. Check his site he has a sweet one of a ki61 also.

I cannot wait for sims to look like that in a couple years and to sound the same.

Tully is wrong they play very quickly in max renders and scenes the backrounds are all not models but done with images or video overlays with exception of the ships, todays computers can handle these movie effects very well and done straight from 3dmax and other industry software.

They use to have to do it like cartoon animation frame making many years ago but not anymore.