Am I the only one that Crabs on approach?
    Rudder full deflection counter ailerons to cut speed and altitude fast so I won't get shot out of the sky?
    Works great with the comet and the jets!

Rudder full deflection counter ailerons to cut speed and altitude fast so I won't get shot out of the sky?
    Works great with the comet and the jets!

MEGILE's Avatar Senior Member
    I think someone already invented that

I used to do it out of necessity when I couldn't set up a good approach.

I finally got good at long approaches and got blow to bits by a FW. Now, I only pop nav lights for a second if I'm damaged and in general come in as vertically as the Spit will take without snapping the gear off.

Well to shake the bandits off my *** I usually come on crab with the *** to the left or right to scrub off speed ASAP but if it looks tough I kind of sort of invented a very balls to the wall method of landing.
    Come in fast say 300mph, dive hard to the deck, slap on the flaps to combat, at the end of the runway nose up to vertical and cut the power to about 25%. As you see your airspeed pass 180mph go for full landing flaps and gear down. At about 75mph pull hard back or if you have the skills go for a hammer head turn and fall nose first back then pull up and touch the ground like a feather on water!
    Looks good, works well and keeps most people off your 6. But the part where you float at the top is very dangeous, so watch out.

Hanglands's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shahram177:
    Rudder full deflection counter ailerons to cut speed and altitude fast </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought this was a World War One technique?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hanglands:
    I thought this was a World War One technique? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yah but people still use it today.
    In fact last summer while "barrowing" a friends ultra light I utilized it to make one hell of a nice landing in a short field.
    That and coming in sideways gives you a nice view of the ground prior to touch down.
    As for the over up flip down land technique I posted second...no that's just nuts!