M2morris's Avatar Senior Member
    I came home from fishing today and my wife said the cat was gone almost all day. We have a big fat black cat named rocky. I heard a faint meow and I thought it was coming from under the fire place, I stuck my head into the fireplace and I discovered that rocky was on top of the fire place floo, and inside the chimney! There is no way he could have gotten into the chimney from above or below or any other way. Its impossible. It is just not possible, besides why would he go into the chimney? I managed to work him out of there, but I cant figure out how he got in there.This is a two story house that creeks and pops alot, we always thought it was just the wood drying out, or the structure adjusting. But I think this house has some wierd stuff going on, and maybe its time we moved out before we end up stuffed in the chimney ourselves. Note to self: Call Stephen King.

Does your house by any chance have Wood paneling near the Fire place? If so, stand on a stool or something and get above the Mantle. Looking down, see if the mantle sits flush against the wall or if there isn't a gap in between the wall and the Mantle.

In some older houses, the heat from the fire place will cause the paneling (Or in some cases even plaster) to dry and bow back away from the mantle leaving a hole where in theory, a cat could slip through and end up above the floo.

Very creepy indeed, Perhaps you should tie a long length of string to the cat to try and track his course in case he should get in again. One way or the other, Don't use that Chimney, If the cat can get in, The Smoke can get out the same way.

Originally posted by Snodrvr:
    Does your house by any chance have Wood paneling near the Fire place? If so, stand on a stool or something and get above the Mantle. Looking down, see if the mantle sits flush against the wall or if there isn't a gap in between the wall and the Mantle.

In some older houses, the heat from the fire place will cause the paneling (Or in some cases even plaster) to dry and bow back away from the mantle leaving a hole where in theory, a cat could slip through and end up above the floo.

Very creepy indeed, Perhaps you should tie a long length of string to the cat to try and track his course in case he should get in again. One way or the other, Don't use that Chimney, If the cat can get in, The Smoke can get out the same way.
    The fireplace is solid brick and goes all the way up to the ceiling and its very wide, outside there are no doors or openings at all and it is a completely sealed brick chimney. Tommoro I will go up and look at the top opening to see if a cat could fit down it, or if its screaned or not. Thnx for the advice,
    but I dont know about the string idea. I dont know why that cat would go down that chimney, weird man. Maybe our cat is going schizo.

I once heard a sound from the silverware drawer in the kitchen....open it and there was my full grown kitty. I'll be damned if I know how she got in there. Trust me, they can do Houdini stuff when they want.

Bobo

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Rocky was probably on the roof chasing birds and fell in. Also possible but less likely there was a bird investigating the top of the chimney and he tried to climb up after it. Believe me, cats can get into some truly amazing places most people wouldn't believe until they'd seen it, even the fairly fat ones.

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    Once two full grown cats found a way into an engine of my car! (it was cold, so probably they were trying to find a warm place in the evening when I arrived). In the morning when I embarked to the job, after a few meters, some strange noises came from under the engine cover. I stopped to check it out and I saw our two cats running away terrified! Luckily they were ok, but they never came close to the car again.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Tully__:
    Rocky was probably on the roof chasing birds and fell in. Also possible but less likely there was a bird investigating the top of the chimney and he tried to climb up after it. Believe me, cats can get into some truly amazing places most people wouldn't believe until they'd seen it, even the fairly fat ones.
    I agree with The Man. You never know what your cat is capable of... if you were able to get him out of there then he was able to get in there.... I had a girlfriend who had a cat that we couldnt find for days.... we finally found her.... or my GF did one day when she was in her panty drawer... and the cat stuck it's head out from behid the drawer..... Almost gave my GF a heart attack.... Apparently she had managed to somehow go in there wqhen the drawer was open and got stuck when my GF closed the drawer... it may have even been one of the other drawers....

I dont think some poltergiest took your cat and put it in the flue.

Originally posted by Bearcat99:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
    I agree with The Man. You never know what your cat is capable of... if you were able to get him out of there then he was able to get in there.... I had a girlfriend who had a cat that we couldnt find for days.... we finally found her.... or my GF did one day when she was in her panty drawer... and the cat stuck it's head out from behid the drawer..... Almost gave my GF a heart attack.... Apparently she had managed to somehow go in there wqhen the drawer was open and got stuck when my GF closed the drawer... it may have even been one of the other drawers....

I dont think some poltergiest took your cat and put it in the flue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ya I think you guys are right, I looked at the chimney opening on top and its just an open hole about 1 foot by a foot and a half so he must have fallen in, and there are bird down feathers there too. I just cant believe that sissy cat was brave enough to do that tho.

Why do I have a mental picture of Rocky, bird in paws, hovering over the chimney, Wile E. Coyote style, before dropping down with a small "poof" of soot? Target fixation, it's not just for humans.

I'm glad to hear he's alright, and I agree with the others. Never underestimate a cat's ability to get into seemingly impossible places. Some of ours have jumped onto the top of the refrigerator from the floor in one jump. My old cat Max could get onto my balcony in several different second floor apartments. I watched him once; he'd get a running start, jump and ricochet off the first floor railing, run up the side of the building Jackie Chan style, and hook his paws over the second floor patio edge. And except for one time, he always got the correct balcony. The one time he didn't was the time he discovered that getting up was easy, but getting down was impossible. That was when I had to do the same "find the meow" trick you did (the next door neighbors were out.)

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    No such thing as a sissy cat when it comes to chasing small furry/feathery stuff, they just act that way around the house to con us slaves out of more food