na85's Avatar Senior Member
    I stumbled across this by accident.

I'd always been under the impression that Kozhedub was the leading Allied ace, but this site:

http://jpgleize.club.fr/aces/ww2urs.htm

Lists a certain Colonel Ivan Fedorov with 70 victories.

Is this just a bogus source?

Buzzsaw-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Salute

If you look, 47 of Federov's kills are shared.

None of Kozhedubs are.

Actually from what I understand, Pokryshkin had the most kills, but his count was deliberately reduced because, a) he flew American planes and refused to switch, b) he questioned his superiors too much and was considered 'unreliable'.

Kozhedub toed the party line.

Pokryshkin was by far the most innovative of Soviet air combat leaders, developing tactics such as the 'Kuban Shelf' system of layered flights, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Pokryshkin

If you go to that website and add up all the numbers in the WW2 victories column, you get 40,829 claims. Not bad, when you consider that the Soviets claim approximately 77,000 German kills during the war.

Does anyone have Black Cross/Red Star handy? I know it has Luftwaffe loss lists in the appendix.

Soviet losses are VERY hard to quantify. There seem to be three schools of counting/thought on their losses.

There are the lowest case estimates, which counts the loss of about 45-46,000 aircraft, of which about 22-25,000 were lost in combat (I think this estimate is for losses between Barbarossa and VE day, ignoring 1939-1940 stuff and Manchuria).

The medium case estimate, which counts the loss of 75-82,000 Soviet aircraft, probably counting all Soviet battles in the 1939-145 period.

The upper case estimate, which counts the loss of 105-117,000 Soviet aircraft, including about 82-83,000 combat losses.

na85's Avatar Senior Member
    Well I'm sure over-claiming happened on both sides, but given the quality of the early VVS aircraft vs the then brand new Bf109 flown by pilots vetted during the spanish conflict, I'd be inclined to believe the higher estimates of soviet losses.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by na85:
    Well I'm sure over-claiming happened on both sides, but given the quality of the early VVS aircraft vs the then brand new Bf109 flown by pilots vetted during the spanish conflict, I'd be inclined to believe the higher estimates of soviet losses.
    +1

Almost as a rule, every air force had their unique "kill counters"... some of them distinguished one motor planes from multi-motor planes (just like in game)... they also varied by period in kill count and in awards.