M2morris's Avatar Senior Member
    Lesson learned for me:
    I was in my Corsair on the way back from a mission near Okinaw. I had to stop two D3s and two N1K1s from attacking a ship, three KI61s later showed up.
    I survived all that and was on my way home, just toodling along thinking about my set-up for landing. I was gonna do a fly-over of the ship and swing around for my normal curve-in approach, when I ran out of gas. Caught me totally by suprize. What a lucky landing. I never come in straight like that, could'nt see a danng thing.
    Whew.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzPcOrT9c

Nicely done. My normal carrier landings are worse

Originally posted by rnzoli:

Nicely done. My normal carrier landings are worse
    Muchos grassyass senior.
    I think in RL however I would have ditched it as close to the ship as possible and went for a swim.

Morris,you now have eight lives left.Use them wisely! That was awesome!!!!!!!

On the last mission of the Castaways campaign you have to escape from a large number of Zeros in a B-25. To finish the mission you have to either ditch next to an aircraft carrier or attempt a landing on it.

I opted for landing. Couldn't see hide nor hair of the Carrier for most of my approach. I Actually landed it and rolled to a stop just feet from the end of the ship.

Haven't been able to do it since.

Nice one!

If you think about that in RL then the word 'hairy' is somewhat of an understatement...

ffb's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
    On the last mission of the Castaways campaign you have to escape from a large number of Zeros in a B-25. To finish the mission you have to either ditch next to an aircraft carrier or attempt a landing on it.

I opted for landing. Couldn't see hide nor hair of the Carrier for most of my approach. I Actually landed it and rolled to a stop just feet from the end of the ship.

Haven't been able to do it since.
    for planes without a tailhook i always land wheels up on a carrier

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    Morris, how well were you practicing economy on the uninterrupted parts of the flight out
    and back? Lindberg went out to the PTO and just running the props and engines differently
    showed the men there how to greatly gain range in the P-38's. It was after that and with
    drop tanks that they were able to intercept Yamamoto where he never expected Allied fighters
    to even get within 100's of miles. A bit of a surprise on a master of surprises.

Anywho I find that I can hold very good speed at even 60% power and 60-70% rpms.

Note that IRL pilots are not depending on their fuel gages as false reads happen.
    Generally you go up knowing how many hours you have fuel for and guess about changes on the
    side of having less and not counting your reserve which you'd rather land still holding.

Originally posted by M_Gunz:
    Morris, how well were you practicing economy on the uninterrupted parts of the flight out
    and back? Lindberg went out to the PTO and just running the props and engines differently
    showed the men there how to greatly gain range in the P-38's. It was after that and with
    drop tanks that they were able to intercept Yamamoto where he never expected Allied fighters
    to even get within 100's of miles. A bit of a surprise on a master of surprises.

Anywho I find that I can hold very good speed at even 60% power and 60-70% rpms.

Note that IRL pilots are not depending on their fuel gages as false reads happen.
    Generally you go up knowing how many hours you have fuel for and guess about changes on the
    side of having less and not counting your reserve which you'd rather land still holding.
    All I was doing was cutting back on throttle, I don't know how to lean it out to less then 100% in the game for the corsair and would't leaning it cause it to over heat quicker also?, and prop pitch won't do much either for adjustment.
    But I left with a half tank and I was only gone for about 30 min so I must have had a fuel leak since I was hit a cuople times. But all accidents are pilot error.
    Good story by the way about Lindburg and the PTO P-38s.

Originally posted by M2morris:
    Lesson learned for me:
    I was in my Corsair on the way back from a mission near Okinaw. I had to stop two D3s and two N1K1s from attacking a ship, three KI61s later showed up.
    I survived all that and was on my way home, just toodling along thinking about my set-up for landing. I was gonna do a fly-over of the ship and swing around for my normal curve-in approach, when I ran out of gas. Caught me totally by suprize. What a lucky landing. I never come in straight like that, could'nt see a danng thing.
    Whew.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzPcOrT9c
    Well done!

Fuel leaks are a trip. As soon as I see that message, if I see it, I've got a constant eye on that gauge. Sometimes, it's a slow leak and not much of an issue unless you had a low tank to begin with, other times you leak out a full tank in 10 mins.