2 page spread review of starforce in PC Gamer. Pretty spot on in my opinion.

Bascially it says that Starforce SHOULD advise what their programme does instead of being hidden in the mass of words in the EULA.

Starforce should also be removed when you uninstall the game.

But on the other hand it says,

Starforce is no way malicious as all the horrid claims make it out to be.

Funny how no one has claimed the Prize Starforce have offered to anyone who can prove that their programme has caused a hardware problem.

So is it only those who run emulator programmes and pirators that are the "voice" or the anti starforce crowd?

OR

Is this artcle incorrect ?

There was an even larger feature on it in the most recent CGW that didn't pull as many punches.

Essentially called it out and showed everyone that the emperor may have clothes, but also ate babies. Some of the quotes they included from StarForce PR people are absolutely hilarious--unless you've dealt with the PR people at spyware / malware companies like 180 Solutions / Zango and CoolWebSearch, and instantly recognize the same tune.

MrMojok's Avatar Senior Member
    I have never experienced the device failures that some people claim to have experienced with it. What it does do on my PC, with SHIII is interesting though. When I put the disc in, or start the program the other way, the splash screen comes up and:

10% of the time, the splash screen stays up for a very brief time, game then runs as normal

70% of the time, the splash screen stays up for 3-7 minutes, then the game runs as normal

20% of the time, the splash screen stays up forever requiring reboot. I once left it up while I went to work, to see if it would sort it out by itself. Splash screen still there when I came home eleven hours later.

Interesting.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    The only trouble I could see with SF is if it interprrets legit software (which it maybe can, maybe it can't) as piracy tools

I use SF, I have SHIII, GTR and GTL, all of which use SF

I use no music 'ripping' software, I don't copy DVDs or CDs (although I have the hardware to do it), and I have not had one teensy trouble with SF.

It annoys me that SF is hard to remove...but to me, SF is a reaction to the rampant piracy that exists. If everyone had bought their software legally...then SF wouldn't exist. The "It doesn't hurt anyone to make copies and hand them out to friends" crowd has ruined it for the rest of us

csThor's Avatar Senior Member
    Chuck - I don't have SF problems, either, but the only one installing drivers on my system is I and not some overzealous copy protection device. I regard this as a serious problem of system security and would be very disappointed if Oleg's future work would be mutilated by this bag of horse droppings.

There are other, better ways of making piracy hard(er). Even though I didn't like it for XP I think a forced registration and activation of the software Online would be a better way than installing a copy protection software which installs itself into your system like cancer does with your cells.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    So far, none of the games in this series use starforce. Discussions of starforce are going to be watched very closely as they don't have a good history on other forums. Anything that is not constructive and totally devoid of personal insult will be instantly deleted.

Let's also leave off slating either Ubi for their choice of copy protection or Starforce for the way they operate. For good or for bad Ubi have chosen starforce for many of their games, these are Ubi's boards and we're here under Ubi's rules. If you have a problem with a starforce protected game, take it to the board of the game that uses it. Before posting, read any stickies, the games where starforce problems have been reported mostly have stickies dealing with the issue.

Ignorance Alert...

What on earth _is_ Starforce?

csThor's Avatar Senior Member
    Tully - Ubisoft is the entity that wants to sell its products here. If the potential customers are put off by using a certain CRP Software with a notoriously bad reputation then it should concern Ubisoft. After all they want us to spend our hard earned money on their products so I think we do have a certain right to show our uneasiness about the potential use of SF.

As long as Ubisoft is not making a single statement if SF will be used or not you're going to find more threads than this.

The DVD is released at the end of the month so someone must know if its there or not.

I don't buy any product with Starforce, regardless of my love for it. Starforce=no $$$$$ from me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►