Went on a trip (wife planned) and ended up just a 1/2 hr from the Dulles National air and space museum.. Awesome collection!

I was amazed they have a FW190, arado jet and DO335 there! Better yet, I saw the same DO335 over 15 years ago in Germany

Only sour note was the anti-terrorist device in the drive up that trashed my car

Went on a trip (wife planned) and ended up just a 1/2 hr from the Dulles National air and space museum.. Awesome collection!

I was amazed they have a FW190, arado jet and DO335 there! Better yet, I saw the same DO335 over 15 years ago in Germany

Only sour note was the anti-terrorist device in the drive up that trashed my car

What, no pics? Shame on you.

AVGWarhawk's Avatar Senior Member
    Are you sure the DO335 was in Germany 15 years ago? There are more hidden German aircraft from WWII in Hyattsville, MD than on display at the new Air and Space Museum. Perhaps it was on loan. I would agree that the place is awesome and growing everyday. I was there a few weeks after it opened so I did not see a lot of what is displayed now. If anyone is remotely close to the museum should make a visit. You will not be disappointed. Not to mention parking is $9.00 and enterance is free unless you would consider the parking as a enterence fee. The brightside is you can find a place to park. The original Air and Space museum on the mall in Washington....parking??????? There is more parking for security than museum visitors and that is not a joke. I took my two girls to the Museum of Natural History and had to park past the Lincoln Memorial and right next to the Potomac river. Try trucking with a 10 and 7 year old 20 blocks for a Imax movie. Real nonsense.

The Do-335 on display at NASM is the only survivor, I think. It was loaned to germany for several years after its restoration.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...nier_do335.htm

Here is our answer. In short, it belonged to the US and tested, late 40's. Sent back to Germany for restoration. Interesting to note that the ejection device on the tail propeller were still active and had to be taken into consideration when they transported back to Germany. You will also notice that Silver Hill MD is mentioned. This is were there are plenty more German aircraft that have been moth balled since WWII..the flying wing is sitting there amongst others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spinnetti:

Only sour note was the anti-terrorist device in the drive up that trashed my car </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm planning a trip there in the near future (my first visit). Can you elaborate on this, as it has got me worried now. What can trash a car ?

Yeah, good question. What anti-terrorist device? The real terrorist on the Mall in Washington is the lack of parking for visitors. I recommend you arrive before 0900. You are assured some reasonable parking spot. After that, plan on taking a cab from Alexandria VA to the Mall.

Ok, I'm on vacation, so don't have all my toys.. I just bought a card reader and am downloading the pics in the background - 2 - 256meg cards full!

I'm a sportscar guy with a lowered Audi with minimal ground clearance. The device is a big steel plate with two big projections of steel that stick up. As I came down off the plate, the projections hit my cast aluminum engine cradle, breaking off a chunk right by one of the mounting plates.

If you don't have a low or lowered car, no worries. If you do (not many on this forum!) just don't try to drop off the wife and kids at the door - the parking lot is not far. (we had all walked in together, and I was going to pick them up at the door).

Major sux, but won't affect most people.

I read the placard on the D0335, and it said the Detuchese (SP) Technik or whatever mueseum (it's been 15+ years, I can't remember exactly) had it . If there is only one, I still have the picture I took back then (and wasn't that into airplanes then)... Its in much better shape now. I'm thinking that was pre-restoration? It looks beautiful now; Factory fresh.. ** Edit: I read the provided link, and I guess my Germany trip was more than 20 years ago!! Dang, I'm getting old! **

I'm going to do a electric RC version of it

I'm at the beach in Delaware for the rest of the week. I have no idea where I am; Wife just gave me directions as I went.. Back to Kentucky on Sat.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey Spinetti.. where do you live.... ? I go there all the time.. Im only about 30-45 minutes from the Museum... My son and I were there on opening day... we even got on TV... LOL I have been there several times since then.