Hello,

I'm trying to come up with an appropriate LW plane set for the Eastern front in '44 and was wondering if late model 109's, i.e. anything later than the 'vanilla' G6 were present at that time. I imagine a few were around by the time the front line had moved to East Prussia but I'm looking for information on, say, 109's utilized during the summer of '44.

Same question for the 190 Dora series.

Thanks

Jumoschwanz's Avatar Banned
    Didn't you ever read Hartmann's The Blonde Knight of Germany or Stuka Pilot by Ulrich Rudel?

I know that in Hartmann's book he talks about the 109Gs that do, and the one's that do not have some form of WEP, and he flew them both.

Also, Ulrich Rudel's unit had FW190s, including Dora's. In fact when Rudel surrendered he did it in a Dora which he purposely landed wheels up to ruin it...

JtD's Avatar Senior Member
    In the summer of 44 it was G-6 all the way. 190 anything up to A-8.

Would be good to know which part of the front you'd like to focus on, north, mid or south.

not to forgett the Fw190F-8 & F-3 (aka A-5 1,65ata /U3&17).
    as the main Fw users at the easternfront in summer 44 were the Schlachtgruppen.
    IIRC only 2 groups of JG54 and some few units of JG5 (<-if at all?!) flew the Fw190 still as fighters.

Thanks for the replies gents, I did read Hartmann's and Rudel's books, and know that Hartmann flew the G6 and that Doras were flying against the Russians as they approached Berlin.

Right now I'm focusing on the southern part of the Eastern front up to the autumn of '44 but would also like to know what flew in the other sectors.

Thanks again.

JtD's Avatar Senior Member
    A quick browse says than on June 1st, 1944,

JG51 (Middle) had 176 fighters, 176 of which were Bf 109 G-6
    JG52 (South) had 76 fighters, 76 of which were Bf 109 G-6
    JG54 (North) had 154 fighters, 154 of which were Fw 190, from A-3 to A-8.

That's certainly not complete, but it gives you a good idea.

Thank you very much JtD, that information is very useful

There is a very nice site that list units, their a/c and their bases > http://www.ww2.dk/

not to forgett the Fw190F-8 & F-3 (aka A-5 1,65ata /U3&17).
    as the main Fw users at the easternfront in summer 44 were the Schlachtgruppen.
    IIRC only 2 groups of JG54 and some few units of JG5 (<-if at all?!) flew the Fw190 still as fighters.
    That is correct. Fighter variants were uncommon compared to the numbers of ground attack variants.

Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
    Right now I'm focusing on the southern part of the Eastern front up to the autumn of '44 but would also like to know what flew in the other sectors.

Thanks again.
    Luftflotte areas of operations

Luftflotte 1 - Baltic
    Luftflotte 2 - Northern Italy
    Luftflotte 3 - France, Belgium and Holland
    Luftflotte 4 - Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania and Bulgaria
    Luftflotte 5 - Norway and Finland
    Luftflotte 6 - Central front east
    Luftflotte Reich - Germany

For a/c in Luftwaffe 4, http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/LWOB.html#Jagdwaffe