Everyone,

I have come into the possesion of and actual wartime diary of a WWII airman who served in the Pacific theatre. His name was Albert F. Wright. A girl that I have been dating the past few weeks (her name is Pam) found out I was a History buff and thought I might enjoy her father's mission diary. I about died when I saw it.

Albert passed away several years ago, but he left behind a large family. He was married twice and fathered Pam at the young age of 50 in 1971! According to Pam, her father was proud of his service in the Pacific and gave this diary to her to teach her about the war. Pam kept this diary safe for many years and reads it often when she wants to remember her dad. She was nice enough to loan it to me so I could scan it and post them on the internet for others to read and transcribe.

So, friends let us transcribe this wartime diary and try to figure out what unit and type of aircraft Albert Wright flew with. I haven't read all of the entries yet, but from what I have read so far, my guess is that he flew in a B-24 or possibly a B-25. Luckily he had good penmanship and we can actually understand it.

Here is the first installment and lets go back in time to 1944. I will try to post a new one everyday. I am looking for you guys to transcribe it here in this thread and I will build a little website as a tribute to Albert.

BV

P.S. the pics are big on purpose so we can easily read the writing.

Everyone,

I have come into the possesion of and actual wartime diary of a WWII airman who served in the Pacific theatre. His name was Albert F. Wright. A girl that I have been dating the past few weeks (her name is Pam) found out I was a History buff and thought I might enjoy her father's mission diary. I about died when I saw it.

Albert passed away several years ago, but he left behind a large family. He was married twice and fathered Pam at the young age of 50 in 1971! According to Pam, her father was proud of his service in the Pacific and gave this diary to her to teach her about the war. Pam kept this diary safe for many years and reads it often when she wants to remember her dad. She was nice enough to loan it to me so I could scan it and post them on the internet for others to read and transcribe.

So, friends let us transcribe this wartime diary and try to figure out what unit and type of aircraft Albert Wright flew with. I haven't read all of the entries yet, but from what I have read so far, my guess is that he flew in a B-24 or possibly a B-25. Luckily he had good penmanship and we can actually understand it.

Here is the first installment and lets go back in time to 1944. I will try to post a new one everyday. I am looking for you guys to transcribe it here in this thread and I will build a little website as a tribute to Albert.

BV

P.S. the pics are big on purpose so we can easily read the writing.

Here's Mission #2. Yep, looks like a B-24. Note comment about #4 engine.

BV

Mission #3:

Confirmed B-24's in this entry.

BV

Mission #4:

BV

Mission #5:

BV

A Liberator was a B-24

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey that's a sweet find.

But if she can read it, well that gurantees nothing about our ability to read.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Droopsnoot:
    A Liberator was a B-24<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Droop,

Yes, I know what a B-24 Liberator is, but when I first skimmed the diary I didn't see what kind of aircraft it was. Now we know. I for certain know that Pam has no idea what a B-24 looks like. So, now I can educate her. It will make her happy. BTW Droop, did you keep a similar diary?

BV

well, it is totally easy to read, what help is it you need?

If you give it a go, the first half page will be a bit difficult, but then you'll get into his penmanship and by two pages you'll read it as your own writing.

(I've done 17th cent. manuscrpts, so trust me, this is a nice, easy handwriting!)

It would be very good if you'd copy it out and post it for people or historians.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►