sparty7200's Avatar Senior Member
    Right..it's simple folks..I have noticed stuff being 'borrowed, taken or altered from 1 skin/template to another without credit to the original authors work,........Know then i'm pointing no fingers.....it's a fight between other people intelectual property.What im asking is that a general code of ettiquette be appleid in General by ALL skinners.
    I think it appropriate that some rules be applied as a sticky in each forum for skinners , as there are enough tutorials teaching newbies the art of skinning ..how about a general guideline for credit and acknowledgement?

Here's my attempt and rules i apply..

1: ALWAYS read the readme in downloaded skins...there be the rules for use!
    2: ALWAYs credit another skinners work for full use of template
    3: If you are using a small or partial amount of a template and you are in doubt (because its only a rivet) then contact the original author either in P/M or E-mail
    4: NEVER EVER remove an atists tag from a template , wether it be a FULL template or TECH LAYER.....these people have put a lot of work into this work.
    5: NEVER EVER EVER !!! pass off anybody's work off as your OWN!

Now then ...these 'RULES' seem pretty straight forward and common sense but still even lately i have noticed some of these 'abuses' by known authors...know i'm a live and let live kind of guy but i hate to see people wronged!

Regards

Sparty

KRISTORF's Avatar Senior Member
    Well written Sparty, however I feel that however well a point is made some people will not give due credit as it means acknowledging other peoples work (however small the contribution).
    What I find hard to understand is how it appears impossible to ask or credit, like there is some sort of loss of face in doing so.
    Never mind, I hope the post gets the attention it deserves and starts the ball rolling for due recognition.

Excellent Idea, definately a sticky required, far too much plagiarism (Plain English Plagiarism = THEFT) going on,people can dress it up how they like,IMHO borrowing etc without the authors permission & then failing to credit is Theft & deciet & only serves to cause ill feeling which in turn eventually deprives the community of talent & the sharing of it...

Regards Beer

Like Kris said though, for some people its like losing face for using others work.

Its like why go to the store and steal 10cents worth of chewing gum? Is jail really worth 10cents?

In every upload I include a readme with credits, and I've often wondered how many people look at the readme.

KRISTORF's Avatar Senior Member
    I try to get past the 'people not reading the read-me' bit by placing the named of each persons stuff I have used on the template I use, thus placing it on the finished skin.
    The only A/C I have come across without the space for this is the Tempest, so a file is inserted with the skin.

Good call sparty! I'm right with hyou.
    I always put every authors name (that I know, if I don't I credit "author unknown), on every skin I release. For me it's not "losing face" to admit that I'm not as good at some things compared to others. Hopefully what will make my skins desirable is the overall quality that I'm able to attain and my particular use of various other works when applicable.
    When I upload a skin I put an "EULA" in the ReadMe that states names must be left on and if used commerically ALL authors must be contacted for approval.

It's the honorable thing to do.

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    my basis is simple for my own, if you use parts of it please pop it in the read me, if you use the template, then leave my sig on, if this is impossible because of size restraints and space rework my sig to add your details but leave a reference to my work on it and NEVER use them in any commercial works without asking my permission first, which will more often than not be given, .......... Have had several issues in the past over this.. often not nice. there was some over at IL2skins where a company used works from the site ( unknown to them but by one of their artists) in their commercial add ons for FlightSim, this was amicably rectified between everyone involved with the company adding a donation to the site

Indeed all very good guidlines Sparty, I think its best not to make these hard and fast rules written in blood on stone, as guidlines they are most adequate, anyone failing to take these guidelines into consideration will be seen as sad & inept, myself like you Jester & others I hate non creditation & unauthorised 'Borrowing' passing others work off as your own really is sadder than sad and anyone guilty of this should take stock, before they become an outcast in an allready divided community( OT ,by divided I refer to the actions of Powermad Doofus moderators,their ill informed views & failures to take into consideration the global effect their sometimes highly questionable & childish actions have on this community as whole, hence we have some very good, in fact some of the best that dont post here at Spewbi anymore,all in all, these things Ive touched on will only serve to deprive an active & willing to learn community of mostly good guys of the skills, talent & foresight that some innovative skinners bring here Eg: yourself, Jester, Warwolfe, Vongraz, Beebop, LeadSpitter, Phase, FBS, VP media, RONNCO, Helgestrand, Tony T to mention but a few of the talented, these are all innovative forward thinking guys, some still here some not, how long before theyre all gone?

Peace Out Beer

although it is "impossible"to give the original author his due,you have a valid point,the "thief" might as well be cheating!!!!!

I like this thread and echo what has been said. There have been times when I had used a template, then personalized that and used the skin. But it's always a skin others wouldn't really have a use for so its not like I am 'republishing' it, so I don't see as I deserve credit for it anyway. If anyone asks, I am happy to tell them it's a template from whoever the author is. I feel very appreciative of the work others do so we with not as much time or resources can enjoy this game on a new level.