DrCactus's Avatar Senior Member
    I know there are a lot of smart people out there and technically you don't have to be smart. All you need is a vivid imagination and the ability to write.

Basically this is the thread where you post your theories on Time / Time Travel, and we discuss it. Obviously, no theory is right or wrong. Just more plausible and debateable. After all this is just a discussion/debate.

To get you started, here's a small rant of mine about time.

"Time is relative. Which means it can change and varies depending on how fast you are going. Yet motion is relative as it may be just an illusion or a string of instantaneous movements. Everything is still at an instant but since it's being observed it looks like motion. Thus at an instant time is stoped and does not exist. Hergo, nothing moves, time doesn't exist.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

I know there are a lot of smart people out there and technically you don't have to be smart. All you need is a vivid imagination and the ability to write.

Basically this is the thread where you post your theories on Time / Time Travel, and we discuss it. Obviously, no theory is right or wrong. Just more plausible and debateable. After all this is just a discussion/debate.

To get you started, here's a small rant of mine about time.

"Time is relative. Which means it can change and varies depending on how fast you are going. Yet motion is relative as it may be just an illusion or a string of instantaneous movements. Everything is still at an instant but since it's being observed it looks like motion. Thus at an instant time is stoped and does not exist. Hergo, nothing moves, time doesn't exist.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

My idea:

According to relativity, the faster you move, the slower the world around you seems to move through time, yes? So if one were able to move fast enough, the world around them would move so slow that time would reverse, causing the fast-moving person to travel backwards in time. I suppose this idea could also work for travelling forwards in time, where the person has to move so slow the world around them speeds up.

Or maybe I've got it reversed, I forget.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.
    Sam: Listen, Moose--
    Moss: It's Moss! Get it right or pay the price.

Obviously you would need a machine to do such a thing. Now would the machine actually be moving or would you be moving space around you, like say a warp drive does?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

I dunno, I hadn't thought about it that much. Maybe it would be some kind of belt that would alter your physiology or something.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Hey Cactus, I got GH2. It PWNS! I like it bettert han the first even. Hammer ons and pull offs have been fine tuned, so that's a biggie. This is a lot harder though, but I'm workin' on it. I beat the career mode on hard, so now I'm working on expert. I'm stuck right now, so I have to keep practicing. lol.

Anyways, back on topic. Cooldude, that idea is really... wow. haha! Never thought of that. <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Way to hijack a thread Melonie. You're lucky I have a secret crush on you. Otherwise I would have totally just...oh great now i just said... Damnit... I'm working on Hard now. I'll catch up to you one day. OR CAN I?! Watch this.

To catch up to someone, I have to travel half the distance before I can get there. The distance can be halfed at every point, and at every point I still have to go half the way. So how in the hell do I actually catch up to her?
    Ah The dichotomy paradox. Stupid Time.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

My chem teacher tries to explain both of those points ('nothing moves' and 'you must go halfway before going all the way, but before you can get to the halfway point, you have to go half of that distance' thing) to his class each year. They're really interesting ways of thinking with the exception that they don't actually...work, for lack of a better word. *tosses an eraser across the room* See? Motion does happen.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Oh man, the secret is out! Ok well, just use the time travel thing to go back and erase it, then it will be a secret again. Perfect! XD

Although, catching up to me on GH2 is going to be much more difficult a task. You could always just spend every second of your free time on practice mode, that might do it. Seriously though, I got better by learning the hammer ons and pull offs. They may be intimidating at first, but once you learn them you advance much quicker. I still haven't mastered them though. Oh, and incase you didn't notice, everytime the notes have the white circle without the black rim, it means you can hit it without strumming again, so that does wonders as well. Most especially if they're in a really fast sequence.

Btw, what songs do you enjoy the most? I'm gonna be cliched and say "Freebird", that one is just too awesome. I also like "Who Was in My Room Last Night", "The Beast and the Harlot", "Wayward Sun", "Crazy on You", "Girlfriend", "Woman", "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart", "Monkey Wrench", and "You Really Got Me". Yeah I know, those are a lot of favorites, but they all rock! <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude6681:
    My chem teacher tries to explain both of those points ('nothing moves' and 'you must go halfway before going all the way, but before you can get to the halfway point, you have to go half of that distance' thing) to his class each year. They're really interesting ways of thinking with the exception that they don't actually...work, for lack of a better word. *tosses an eraser across the room* See? Motion does happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. But then since that actually happens, then it means that space and time are not infinitely divisible. The reason why you can't keep dividing the distance and time. Which means that it isn't continuous. So if it's not continuous it means that space and time is just continuously flickering, just like a movie. And a movie is a series of still pictures creating the illusion of movement. So is the eraser still moving or are you watching it be still in different locations at different instances?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►