SkyChimp's Avatar Senior Member
    Redcoats. Phhhpt. Nothing but a bunch of tea-taxing-tinkerbells.

I thought the main gripe wasn't necessarily the higher taxes but more having to do with "no taxes without representation." It was easy to raise taxes on the colonists if they didn't have that representation.

And yes. I think its fair to assume that the MUSTANG would have won that war in 10 days.

Yup thats what James Madison probably thought just before they showed up to give his house an extreme make over

oopps got in before me there Stele I was refering to redcoats and their winged fairyishness

Thank god Mel Gibson is there to put the record straight aye?

Just be thankful the death star was not complete or we would have pwned jooz noobs for sure

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Bottom line if not taxes something else.. the split was inevitable... There were too many ways for an enterprising capitalist to make money here on his own and NOT be beholdfen to the kihng... the crown knew it too.. thats why they tried to stop it...

Quote:
    Bottom line if not taxes something else.. the split was inevitable... There were too many ways for an enterprising capitalist to make money here on his own and NOT be beholdfen to the kihng... the crown knew it too.. thats why they tried to stop it...

Amen BC, Ain't that the truth! plus the Colonists just couldn't get used to driving on the "wrong side" of the road

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    I think one reason was that a lot of the people that settled America or came to America had a beef with the monarchy. Some had a distaste for the idea of a monarchy government. Just note the almost angry response Washington gave when "King Washington" was whispered soon after the war.

BTW, I live in the other Commonwealth of Virginia about 5 miles from the Yorktown battlefield where Cornwallis surrendered. The redoubts and some of the trenches and fortifications are still there.

AKA_TAGERT's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
    Interesting thread.

I can understand why the Americans posting in this thread assume that because thier forfathers had both rejected the European continent and had a pioneering spirit the break with England was inevitable; but I'd like to ask them what, in thier own eyes, diffentiates them from Australia?
    The Roos

Akronnick's Avatar Senior Member
    Now this anecdote may be apocryphal, but I remember hearing somewhere that for July 4, 1776, King George III wrote in his diary:"Nothing of consequence happened today"

quote:
    Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
    Interesting thread.

I can understand why the Americans posting in this thread assume that because thier forfathers had both rejected the European continent and had a pioneering spirit the break with England was inevitable; but I'd like to ask them what, in thier own eyes, diffentiates them from Australia?
    Everybody who came to America wanted to be there. Still applies.

My 2 cents about the inevitable split--Britain treated the Colonies like all their colonies, as a cash cow, to be taxed up the wazoo, to make the Yankees have to buy British goods off British ships at higher prices than they'd pay elsewhere (say, the French), and as a handy garden for all that good stuff they couldn't grow at home (tobacco). Americans finally got p***ed.

You Americans are funny

Read up on your history a bit. The independence movement was really small, with only about 10-30% of the colonist population supporting it. A similar segment was decidedly royalist, and the vast majority simply didn't care. After the revolution, there was a mass exodus of over 100,000 royalists to Canada - the most faithful of the faithful.

The Declaration of Independence is a propaganda piece. You'll find similar texts any time there's a revolt, and, of course, 90% of those are forgotten because the revolts fail. Every two-bit dictator that comes to power through a coup issues something similar, that sounds glorious and exaggerates the situation.

Fact is, that the colonies were a net financial burden to Britain, their upkeep and protection cost more than what little tax they gave. The taxes on the colonies were remarkably low, they had the least tarriffs of any major colony or state in the world at the time. You might want to read how, after the end of the war, taxes were immediately raised because the colonies found out how expensive government really is.

The revolutionaries had to drum up fake propaganda like the "Boston Massacre" in their newspapers, packs of lies, and still popular support for the revolution was low. In fact, when the White House was burned down during the War of 1812, there was considerable consternation that the British would re-establish colonial rule. Due to the taxes levied by the state governments, British rule was seen with great nostalgia among the populance. You guys should read about the recruiting and provisioning problems the army had during the War of 1812.