Originally posted by gx-warspite:
    You might want to read how, after the end of the war, taxes were immediately raised because the colonies found out how expensive government really is.
    Wouldn't this be taxation "WITH" representation? Makes paying taxes easier.

Also there was nothing fake about the Boston massacre. Paul Reevere may have twisted some of the details due to his hatred of the British, but it did happen.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by panther3485:
    Hi there, WWMaxGunz

Very interesting post, thanks for that.

Yes, 500 years, migrants from so many countries and for so many reasons, huge variations in conditions and circumstances, huge range of possible outcomes.

A vast subject I think, and one worthy of volumes of books and more. Doubt if we could really do it justice here, eh?

Best regards,
    panther3485
    No, we can't. Best I can do is try and point at scope and show some about depth but really
    a degreed historian would do better perhaps. I have personal observations from much moving
    around and knowing people but still others can make me look like a stick-in-the-mud stay at
    home. I really think that it would take a historian with ethnology studies and maybe some
    languages under the belt or hat to write a series of volumes as all what I have read are
    missing slices here and there.

Really what is needed is people free and with enough extra part time to educate for all life
    and then no more reasons to hate. The ones who hate then would be treated as insane which
    does happen. IMO that is what Hitler and pals were. It's only when they come into power
    by lying to sane but not very smart people that the big trouble happens.

I'll be 50 soon and it's taken me this long to amass what I seem to understand. Perhaps
    humanity just has not the ability, we should know more than I do now before leaving home.

Originally posted by Lav69:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gx-warspite:
    You might want to read how, after the end of the war, taxes were immediately raised because the colonies found out how expensive government really is.
    Wouldn't this be taxation "WITH" representation? Makes paying taxes easier.

Also there was nothing fake about the Boston massacre. Paul Reevere may have twisted some of the details due to his hatred of the British, but it did happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The taxes didn't just get taken across the ocean probably helped.
    Suddenly things not addressed by the crown were made to be, and besides George had wants as
    the published expense reports he hit congress up for show. Ice cream, booze and prostitutes
    show up in 100's of gallons, by the keg and not just a couple in that order.

OTOH, congress was not for a long time a paid position while now even after only two years
    you get full paid retirement for life!

Hi again, WWMaxGunz

Quote:
    "I'll be 50 soon and it's taken me this long to amass what I seem to understand. Perhaps
    humanity just has not the ability, we should know more than I do now before leaving home."

Yes, I'm not much older than you and I still have a great deal to learn.

History has always been a favourite subject but I must confess that I have tended to concentrate on certain specific areas, to the relative neglect of others. I'm fairly weak on American history.

One good thing I find about talking to people on this forum and others, it helps to remind me of my weaknesses and on occasion, has encouraged me to study areas of knowledge I might otherwise never have explored.

Thanks again for your thought provoking posts.

Best regards,
    panther3485

MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by panther3485:
    Hi again, WWMaxGunz

Quote:
    "I'll be 50 soon and it's taken me this long to amass what I seem to understand. Perhaps
    humanity just has not the ability, we should know more than I do now before leaving home."

I agree panther3485

My eyes have been opened so far and I'll do a bit more Googling.The 1812 war also interests me.

How many countries have us Brits been at war with at some time or another? The Germans call us 'Island Monkeys'and they can't understand as to why we had an Empire that encompassed about 70% of the world. Come to think of it...neither can I

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

British military tradition is extensive, kind of like old Roman in ways?
    Don't forget Africa and not just the North African parts.

I had played Hearts of Iron II (can't find the CD now) and amazed at the span of the Empire
    even during the 40's. But then even the Netherlands had holdings I had no idea about down
    in the Java-New Guinea area. And I really think that Britain screwed up at Singapore with
    the defenses only aimed out to sea as it were. HOI2 is not for the faint at heart even just
    to start at!

Hi there, MB_Avro_UK

Yeah mate, I'm constantly encountering new and fascinating things to think about or study. Reckon I'd never have time to cover it all, even if I lived to be 300 years old!

As for the British Empire, I'm just as amazed as many others, how vast it was at its zenith. With the World developing and changing as it was, the fairly rapid loss of said empire was pretty much a forgone conclusion, IMHO.

But I guess in many ways too, it hasn't been a total loss. I sense another vast subject looming on the horizon!

Best regards,
    panther3485

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    DID YOU KNOW: that at the time of the American Revolution, American colonists were paying some of the LOWEST taxes in the entire British empire? (This includes all the new acts and taxes imposed upon us by the British) Our revolution ultimately came about because Britain tried to enforce Mercantilism upon us, (which, under our charters, they had a right to do) But, apparently, it seemed, if an American can't smuggle things into his colony, gosh darn it, he's got to go to war!!!

MB_Avro, I appreciate the thoughts, but come on. We're talking about my people here, Americans. We're used to doing things our way, even if they're sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) crazy, redundant, and occasionally downright stupid. [cough]Custer's Last Stand[/cough]However, we must remember all those things the world has seen because Americans, through our mix of brainyness, stupidity, random luck, and culture composition, have come up with some awesome stuff and have made such terrible mistakes:

-Vegetarian Sushi!
    -Fortune Cookies
    -The 1903 Wright Flyer
    -The Cotton Gin
    -The Reuben Sandwich
    -Virtually every other greasy food on Earth.
    -Ironclad Warships
    -Repeating rifles
    -The Gatling Gun
    -First to the Moon (Russia gets credit for first into space!)
    -January 15, 1919 = First time ever people were drowned in a flood of 2.5 million gallons of Molasses. (Boston) Article on it here
    -First to suggest a "League of Nations," (1918 Armistice) Also one of the first not to join it.
    -etc...

The Boston "Massacre"?

"Although hardly a massacre this event was a milestone on the road to American independence, being the first powerful influence in forming an outspoken Anti British public opinion.

On Monday March 5, 1770, after a weekend of minor clashes, the conflicts between Boston Garrison Soldiers and colonialists came to a head. Insults exchanged between a British soldier and a local merchant ended with a butt-stroke of a musket. This lead to a small riot, and the Boston Garrison responded with a small squad of soldiers under the command of Captain Thomas Preston. The colonial mob taunted and menaced the squad, but it wasn't until Private Hugh Montgomery was struck by a thrown club that any action occurred. When Montgomery returned to his feet he took aim into the crowd and fired, his compatriots joined him, under no command of Preston. Three colonialists were killed and two mortally wounded.

The real significance of this event was that it gave rebellious leaders propaganda against the British. Sam Adams has been accused of actually instigating the whole event for just this purpose. Popular legend has made these colonials who died heroes and martyrs, they were neither. It is widely accepted now that those who died were no more than the unlucky members of an angry crowd. The British were tried for thier acts, defended by John Adams, and were aqcuited."

Hyperbole is a wonderful thing

Aaron_GT's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah mate, I'm constantly encountering new and fascinating things to think about or study. Reckon I'd never have time to cover it all, even if I lived to be 300 years old!
    I know what you mean! There is so much to learn about or do, or contribute. I wish I had three lifetimes to fit it all in (and the money to allow me to do it all!)