History is a river that will never reach the sea. Some people can dip a cupped hand into it and drink a little. Others try to dam it, or divert it's course. It just keeps flowing. We're all in the same boat in that river. Some people are happy sitting back and enjoying the ride. Others want to be the captain. Some get seasick. The river keeps flowing. It bends and forks, sometimes it flows fast over a rocky bed and threatens anyone riding on that particular stretch. That's when brave people and navigators are useful. We have no control over where the river has been. We can have a say in where the river is going. But it will never reach the sea.

Very erm..... philosophical today, aren't we Low_Flyer?

Quite good though.

Best regards,
    panther3485

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by stelr:

7. Iraq is a colony of the USA in all but name. Look at how many US businesses are taking over the country.
    Hmmm....

Wonder where you are getting all your "facts?"
    [/QUOTE]

Fox news. :P

1 word. Haliburton. Just look at how many contracts those guys have with both the occupying powers and the rebuilding of Iraq. Haliburton IS Iraq right now.

Originally posted by stelr:
    Sorry, but terrorists cannot be given the same honor and respect we give freedom fighters or even insurgents.
    Thats subjective, as is the use of those terms.
    Take the IRA, probably one of the worlds most famous insurgent organisations. To the Irish they are freedom fighters, to the British they are terrorists. Simple summary of the situation yes, but it sums it up nicely.

And no, its really no different from Iraq except the British has occupied Northern Ireland for so long there accepted there by a vast amount of people.

Its the same thing with the Nepalese Maoists, the Basque sepratists etc. Both have used violence, rightly or wrongly, to put there message across. To there governments they are terrorists and should be locked up, to the people they represent they are hero's and freedom fighters and there army.

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    When parents bring their child up, they try to instil their own values and to give the child the self confidence to make its way in the world. Particularly in the case of a first born child, as that child becomes a youth, and starts to assert its own independence, the inexperience of the parents can often mean that they struggle to let go. In the late teens this will often lead to rebellion and conflict, and the first born will often leave the fold and make its way in the world very successfully due to confidence instilled during the critical period of its early childhood when the parents had the time and energy to lavish attention on it; married to the anger and sense of independence formed by the rejection it felt when the later children came along.

As the youth matures into an adult, a lasting, mutual friendship will often develop between the first born and the now more worldly-wise parents. Should the parents get into difficulties, the first born will usually answer the call for help.

And finally, when the parents move into their dotage, the first born will inherit the family business…

bazzaah2's Avatar Senior Member

Originally posted by Nimits:
    . . . and Texas is more of country . . .
    And Michigan's a mitten.

Hey Low_Flyer, those your words?...nice...I liked it anyway.

Yep, all mine. If I can paraphrase John Lee ******, sometimes it's in me and it's gotta come out. Thanks.

And nice one from stathem.

I like this

"England is the pit whence we Americans were delved. Within her boundaries our language grew and was enriched until it became, for range and vigor if not for beauty and precision of sound, the most perfect instrument of verbal expression ever known. England gave us the English bible, which has been the main source of our profound idealism through all our years. She gave us our common law, and such respect for legal customs and restraints as we have shown. From England we brought our basic notions of representative government, of liberty under the law, of town and village communities, and of home life. Our revolt against the homeland, carried out as it was by Englishmen in the spirit of English ideals, was one of the most characteristic things that English people have ever achieved."

Odell Shepard, Trinity College.
    And Stathems comments above...

Makes a lot of sense to me

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks chaps, glad you liked it

I guess the flames will be along presently.